426 decode

Help with decoding your Hemi engine.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

lparlier

426 decode

Post by lparlier »

We are putting a non-numbers block into our 69 hemi charger that came with the car when we purchased it and have a couple of questions. On the stamp pad at the front, are the letters T,W,A, and C. That is all. The casting number is 2468330-2, dated 8-18-69. The pad down by the oil pan is blank and I have read that to be a warranty block, the height should be 5/32" but I don't understand how to measure that. I understand the T and W but if the A means oversized, the pistons and bore measured 4.25". Our engine builder said the pistons were 12.5:1 and are numbered 2780515 and 2780514. Were these aftermarket? We bored the block and lowered the compression so it can be a driver but I am curious about the letters A and C, the piston numbers, and how to measure the pad to see if, in fact, it is a Warrant block. Help, anyone? Thank you, Linda Parlier
Chrycoman

Post by Chrycoman »

The casting date, 8-18-69, along with a blank machined pan above the oil pan point to a warranty block.

8-18-69 is for August 18, 1969, at which time the 1969 models had been out of production for almost 3 weeks. Although your car is a 1969 model, the engine was built during the 1970 model year.
Bill
Vancouver, BC
lparlier

decode

Post by lparlier »

Thanks, Bill. What do you think of the C and A on the pad at the front? We're trying to trace some history on the car and when we got the car, we were told the replacement had been with the car since it was quite new so in doing so we want to understand the markings. Thank you, Linda