Three old hemis

Help with decoding your Hemi engine.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

kaufman

Three old hemis

Post by kaufman »

Hey every one ! I've just found & bought three early hemis and I need help finding out just what I have.Hemi #1...Red ram,engine numbers....D44-72726.....Hemi #2....Desoto fire dome,engine nubers......S16-39827.....Hemi #3....Engine nubers....8447 22104, by the way these nubers on this engine were stamped over grinder marks,so its been re stamped for some reason,Any help would be great
timshemi

Re: Three old hemis

Post by timshemi »

#1 241
#2 276
#3 ?
there should be some numbers cast into the block next to the lifter valley cover. those will help.
kaufman

Post by kaufman »

Thank you for the reply. yes engine # 3 block casting is....1739429-8....the other engines I did match up some casting numbers from this site that identified them but engine # 3 I could't find
speedicusmaximus

Post by speedicusmaximus »

Next thing, buy yourself Tex Smith's book, "The Complete Chrysler Hemi Engine Manual" and get reading ! :wink:
First published ten years ago, it's still the best single source for early Hemi info. 8)
And then, get saving some money ......! :wink:

Amazon link for the Tex Smith book:
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Chrysler ... 775&sr=1-4

Let us know how you get on.

Mike
Beep ! Beep !
kaufman

Post by kaufman »

Thanks for the info on the book. If I get one good hemi from these its going in my 36 iternational thats chopped dropped & channeled. It''ll be soooo bad
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

Hi Kaufman,

My reference book says #3 could be a 315 from a Dodge truck. I used the "Hemi Engine Data" book you can get from HotHeads.

Hope that helps.

David
Horsepower determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque determines the size of the hole you make. Holzwarth's Law
kaufman

Post by kaufman »

thanks david,that makes alot of sense because there is a monster four speed truck trans. hanging ont the back. If it's a 315 thats good because it's one the better engines ......the bigger the better right ?
kaufman

Post by kaufman »

Looks like #1.... the 241 gets sleeved.do I go back with stock pistons,Do I have a choice ? are stock ones still availeble,...not at my napa store !.....
speedicusmaximus

Post by speedicusmaximus »

For the pistons, try Hot Heads:

http://www.hothemiheads.com/

And, Egge Machine:

http://www.egge.com/

Most of the piston manufacturers will do something for the early Hemi's, but going to "one outlet" is probably better.

Mike
Beep ! Beep !
kaufman

Post by kaufman »

thanks for info on the pistons mike.there really prowd of them.But its a small price compared to whats coming. To night I pulled the crank...It looks to very fine, I'll know more when its cleaned & measured.Next Is to remove the very stuck pistons.
George

Post by George »

there's a 241 build @ www.webrodder.com the nominal 7.1 c/r was measured @ 6.19! :o Aftermarket pistons are the way to go.
kaufman

Post by kaufman »

Hey george, I checked out the build on the webrodder site,it's pretty cool. But I think he's got more money than me.
kaufman

Post by kaufman »

A little up date on the three old hemis.....#1 goes to the machine shop tomarrow to make sure it's a canidate to be sleeved,I hope,I hope,I hope...#2 is the worst,It's been out side for 30 years I think,and the last 15 was upside down in the mud.I popped the heads off to find big crack between 4 & 6....the block is junk.I might have a set of 276 heads at best,Good thing I got these really cheap. If #1 is a no go,# 3 is my last hope,it being the best of all three and seems to be run the latest.I'll keep every one informed,thanks for the support.... :-?
kaufman

Post by kaufman »

I'm still working with #3. I took the heads apart to find sodium filled exhaust valves.Is this just atruck thing or do the car 315 engines have this too ? any help on this matter would be great.
mart

Post by mart »

kaufman wrote:I'm still working with #3. I took the heads apart to find sodium filled exhaust valves.Is this just atruck thing or do the car 315 engines have this too ? any help on this matter would be great.
------------------------------------
Nope....the-sodium-cooled valves are a "truck, imdustrial & marine"
engine thing only.

nart
=============================================
kaufman

Post by kaufman »

thanks mart,do you think I should put the smaller guides & valves in or just leav it the way it is ?
mart

Post by mart »

Deleted - see next post
- mart
========================
Last edited by mart on Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mart

Post by mart »

kaufman wrote:
"....do you think I should put the smaller guides & valves
in or just leave it the way it is ?
"
-------------------------------------------------
Yeah. I'd definitely put smaller guides in and go to 'standard-stem-size'
valves. The the 'semi-humongous'-sized stems on the sodium-cooled
valves take up a lot of space in the port and bowl area and restrict
flow quite a bit . Also, I imagine the cost of new sodium-cooled valves
- if you can even get them - and you probably can't - would be pretty
outragous and way more than the cost of the new guides and new
standard stem-sized replacement valves combined. Another tip too.
If you're looking for some oversize valves - either for the intake or
exhaust side and want to save some bucks - I'm not sure off-hand
what the stem diameters and lengths are for stock 315 Dodge valves,
but if you do some checking and cross-referencing in some parts
catalogs, you might be able to find some "off the shelf" - maybe
even high-quality, aftermarket, stainless valves - for some other,
more common and more readily available application for relatively
cheap, that will either 'drop in', or that could have their head size
cut down slightly to fit. Also, if you're putting new guides in anyway,
that opens up the potenial even more for some creative valve
interchanging, as you're not necessarily stuck to using only valves
with the stock Dodge stem diamiters and can choose new guides
sized to fit the valve stems, rather than the other way around. Get
some catalogs or go online and start cross-referencing....and if you
find some interesting and potentially good interchage possibilities,
let the rest of here know too! Good luck...and have fun! :)

mart
===========================================================
George

Post by George »

kaufman wrote:Hey george, I checked out the build on the webrodder site,it's pretty cool. But I think he's got more money than me.
Doc likes the exotic stuff! The 241 build is tamer than the 315 build with the custon ground crank & custom cam set up. He has/had the 315 up 4 sale @ 10K a while back. Good info if you look @ the basic info.
kaufman

Post by kaufman »

I have in my possesion a great book with valve guide,valves,stem lengths,head diamiters,seats of all sizes & part numbers.I've already found lots of canidates that are availible over the counter and a lot cheaper than hemi stuff.This is great..... But I can't do anything untill I hear the machine shop say the block is fine....The suspense is killing me.
George

Post by George »

kaufman wrote:I have in my possesion a great book with valve guide,valves,stem lengths,head diamiters,seats of all sizes & part numbers.I've already found lots of canidates that are availible over the counter and a lot cheaper than hemi stuff.This is great..... But I can't do anything untill I hear the machine shop say the block is fine....The suspense is killing me.
When you get it all sorted out, post it!
kaufman

Post by kaufman »

I seem to remeber some one saying I need to start saving money. with the original cost of the three old hemis,and the price of the pistons & the machine shop work, I'm seting at about 1600.00, and I haven't started on the heads yet. But #3 is looking very niiiiiiiice. I'll have a fair amount of money in it but it'll be worth seeing it in the binder (36 international ). I'll keep in touch.....
mart

Post by mart »

Good news that 'engine number 3' looks like it's a go for rebuilding! 1600 bucks in a short block isn't really that much and you're right...it'll be worth it! :)

mart
==============================================
kaufman

Post by kaufman »

Well, a little snag in the heads.I measured & measured my valves, and found the best canidates. the new valves were .050 bigger than the stock ones,the same length as the stock ones,and a little smaller on the stem diameter.so I paided for them,A third of the price of hemi valves......Buuuttt in all them specifications no where did it mention the placement of the keeper groove. Now that I own them ,I see that it's in the wrong place by just a little.I'm now atempting to adjust this problem with differant spring retainers & keeper combinations. I realley thought this was going to be easy. Maybe I should have spent the 400.00 for the hemi stuff..... :x
mart

Post by mart »

kaufman wrote: "....I see that it's in the wrong place
by just a little. I'm now attempting to
adjust this problem with different spring
retainers & keeper combinations.....
"
--------------------------
What is the original application for the new
valves? Are the retainer grooves in the new
valves higher or lower than on the stock hemi