need info please

Help with decoding your Hemi engine.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

bulletproof1

need info please

Post by bulletproof1 »

i just picked up a chry industrial hemi,was told it was a 331.where are the casting numbers located (block) ? do the car motors and the indus have the same bell housing.this motor is very complete turns over .it ran on propain for years . what should i look for? thanks for any help
TrWaters

Post by TrWaters »

Welcome to the board.

The casting number on the block should along the side of the valley cover, between the cover and the head. The casting numbers on the heads are under the valve cover, in the center of the head.
If yours is not an extended block, then yes, the bellhousing bolt pattern is the same as all others.

Feel free to post your questions here. Its a great bunch of guys, and we'll do our best to get you the answers.

TrWaters
bulletproof1

got my casting numbers

Post by bulletproof1 »

after scraping away the 40years worth of gunk i found the numbers (block are ind-24-24840 heads are 14868331 ,the owner said his grand father bought it new in 53 was used for irregation,might run 24-7 for a week at a time or might not be used at all,all year.was running on propain still has the 2 barrel carb looking thing.the outside is real dirty but the insides are VERY clean motor is in great shape.vave covers are perfect.has the spark plug wire covers running down the lengh of the covers.this thing is a virgin .only thing missing is the air cleaner.im guessing that its a 331 like in the head code?
scottm

Post by scottm »

IND 24 means the block is a 331 Industrial Hemi.
The 1486833 also translates to 331 Hemi heads.

http://www.thehemi.com/engines.php?id=IND20

I do not have too much information on Industrials.
bulletproof1

intake and stat

Post by bulletproof1 »

im looking at the weiand 7263 dual quad intake ,how do you plumb the thermostat housing (7134)to the heads ,can it be done in a way that looks good. .it looks like the intake has tapped holes in the cooling passages .also looking at the adapters for the b/b chevy water pump,what about the timing chain cover.is one better than the rest?
TrWaters

Post by TrWaters »

You will need to use the two tapped holes in the intake to plumb to a remote thermostat housing, which Weiand also makes, part # 7134.

For a front cover, I would suggest one of the cast units from Hot Heads, which include the adapter for a sbc pump.

TrWaters
Early hemi to late sb Mopar trans adapters. Precision billet parts for early hemis.