who has nitrous on their hemi

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

MEANGENE75

who has nitrous on their hemi

Post by MEANGENE75 »

wanting to see who has done it. what kit did you use? How much? results? thinking of pulling the nx wet kit of my ram air and putting it on the hemi. any problems going lean? spark knock? ....gene
04 hemi, sc, sport, red, 3.92 posi, 22" wheels, flowmaster cat back, mopar long tube headers, srt 10 hood, mopar cod air,cold air duct, hypertech, ground force drop, sirius radio, momo sub, tint, 180 thermostat, silverstar lamps, mopar bed cover.
TheRedneckWay

Post by TheRedneckWay »

wouldnt that void the warranty?
Rampant

Post by Rampant »

People have been using 100 and 150 shots with no problem. The 150 shot work decent put did not really impress me too much on a gtx truck.
MEANGENE75

Post by MEANGENE75 »

yeah, i suppose it would. but who's gonna tell on me????
has anyone out there been able to check 02 sensor readings while spraying? im very familiar with n2o on fuel injected vehicles and tuning them, however my concerns are with the hemi fuel system. not sure where the injectors sit in there duty cycle, and how a shot would increase this. any tuners out there played with this issue........gene
04 hemi, sc, sport, red, 3.92 posi, 22" wheels, flowmaster cat back, mopar long tube headers, srt 10 hood, mopar cod air,cold air duct, hypertech, ground force drop, sirius radio, momo sub, tint, 180 thermostat, silverstar lamps, mopar bed cover.
rdh

Post by rdh »

I am using the zex wet kit, 75 shot and will be increasing it soon. We monitored while spraying and left it a bit rich because we could not retard the timing. No problems at this point. I do plan to build a saftey in. Read O2 and if lean condition developes shut down the nitrous with a relay switch between arming switch and the control unit. I don't know if it would respond quick enough but should be much sooner than I could possibly react. Maybe only peace of mind but hey that is worth something and it should be cheap to do. I will not exceed 150 shot even if I can retartd the timing because I don't know with the other mod's I've done that the stock heads will support enough air flow, to avoid a wreck. I understand the heads should support up to 600 hp, my target is 550 at hte flywheel. Who knows, I am headed down the slippery slope. I'll have it on the dyno in a couple weeks then more changes.
Hemidakota

Post by Hemidakota »

RDH, is therre a kit number?
Steve
Future Purchase: 2006 Charger SRT-8/2006 MegaCab 6.1 Hemi
"Coming soon 600HP SRT-10 to pull the SRT-4 & SRT-8 Charger to the track!"
rdh

Post by rdh »

Sorry don't remember the kit number. Zex has a web site and I have seen other brands with non specific application kits that should work. I like spraying into the intake in front of the throttle body. One quirk you should be aware of, the instructions called for engine off ignition on and pedal to the floor to train the control unit for full throttle spray. My 04 did not give a signal to the control unit with the engine off. It went on the dyno so we could do the set up with the engine running in gear. I don't know if this is specific to the zex kit or not. Maybe we did something wrong but that worked and it operates fine.
MEANGENE75

Post by MEANGENE75 »

rdh, what kind of timeslips are you running? dyno numbers?....gene
rdh

Post by rdh »

you probably won't like the numbers but here goes. Dyno before n2o 240 rear wheels at 5500 rpm. 2,200' elevation 65 degrees and 35% humidity. I just ran it down to install the APS converter (getting ready for more juice / hp and had them put it on the dyno for your numbers. 300 with 100 degree ambiant and approx 15% humidity. It was real rich and We believe there is another 15 hp to gain getting it right. I will be continuing to push for more power as products and time allow. I've driven a few friends hemis and with the juice mine is much stronger also friends that have the 6 litre chevy's with chips, cold air and exhaust work are toast. No time slips yet maybe this fall. seat of the pants feel good but I am yet in need of a neck brace.
rdh

Post by rdh »

Gene

Got the rich thing taken care of and a bigger shot of nitrous. No dyno run or time slips yet. I should not have wasted my time with the 75 shot, at 125 and 150 it woke up, no indication of detonation and feels real strong. I need to work on traction now I can not prevent wheel spin in first gear at WOT. Oh I forgot to mention in the last post that we did not find peak power it was still climbing at a steady rate when we shut it down at about 5500. RDH
MEANGENE75

Post by MEANGENE75 »

very encouraging. i am about to take the plunge and swap the kit off my ram air to the truck. keep us posted once you have some et's or dyno numbers. i will do the same.....gene