Tips on protecting your Tranny

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

usedtobert

Tips on protecting your Tranny

Post by usedtobert »

I know a lot of you guys know these things, but a lot of people don't so here's some ideas.

1. Change your fluid and the Filter every 30K miles under normal driving. I think 15-20K is a good idea if you race a lot or have a High H.P. Application. AMSOIL Universal Trans fluid is A++ stuff. I have used this and although it looks brand new after 30K miles, I still recommend a change to remove any lose debris.

2.Install a Trans cooler. Heat is the #1 killer of autos. Keeping your tranny at 180* will greatly extend it's life. Bumper to Bumper traffic can easily send temps to over 200*. Waiting in line at the local dragstrip can do this to.

3.Install a Larger capacity tranny pan (if avalible) and use a Trans Temperature gauge. The more fluid you have, the better. The Gauge will help you monitor your temps, since your factory light will not come on until the temp reaches around 220*. Your doing Damage at those temps!!.

4. Brake Torquing is BAD, but for burnouts at the track, always use a line lock. Your trans is put under HUGE pressure during a burnout. Your truck is trying overcome the rear Disc brakes to spin the tires. This can blow seals and it reallys builds heat. The Line lock holds only the font brakes, making it much easier on the truck to turn the back tires.

5. Always do burnouts in 1st gear . In the 46RE, 1st gear and Reverse will engage extra bands for added strength. I'm not sure about the Hemi tranny on this. Also NEVER unless you just have to, let the truck shift into OD while racing. Always lock out your OD while at the track. Always lock out OD while spraying N20 as well. Spraying N20 into overdrive is a BAD,BAD idea. The OD unit is not strong.

6.Install a High quality torque convertor and get a High Performance Valve body if avalible... Avoid shift kits. The Valve body will firm up your shifts. Sloppy "soft" shifts generate more heat then firm solid shifts. Shifts can be okay if done right. It takes someone who really knows their stuff to get it right. Take it to the wrong person you'll be buying a new factory Valve body just to get the Trans back right again. A bet5er convertor will cut drivetrain loses and make your trans more efficient.

7. Let your truck reach operating temps before you flog it. This assures proper lubrication of the tranny. If you have a Trans Temp Gauge let the temp get to around 180*

These Tips may not may not save you a Transmission failure, but they will help.
SoCalHemi04

trans tips

Post by SoCalHemi04 »

Bert..you are correct in almost everything you stated but....the Hemi trans 5-45RFE uses only ATF#4 and anything else will only give you troubles down the road. The ATF 4 is a special semi synthetic thats matched for this transmission..so pure synthethics like Amsoil may not be the best for this application.
usedtobert

Post by usedtobert »

My Dakota RT with the 46RE Tranny also required ATF+4. If you read on AMSOIL's website you will find that the AMSOIL universal ATF fluid is fully compatible with any tranny that uses ATF+4. I ran it in my Dakota for 50,000 without a single problem and it always looked new when changed. I also took the truck down the 1/4 mile track 120+ times and put 20+ bottles of N20 through it with a 150 shot. Definite torture. Dakota Owners and the Toyota board I belong to swear by AMSOIL. Many Dakota owners have 70,000-80,000 miles and also have no problems.

I do agree that products such as Trick Shift will ruin a Dodge tranny in a hurry, seeing as how this product is strictly for Dextron and Mercron Tranny's.
SoCalHemi04

Post by SoCalHemi04 »

Bert..i was talking about the hemi trans. I have a full size real truck. :D
usedtobert

Post by usedtobert »

Yes I understand that. The 5-45RFE is used behind the 4.7L as well. I know of a couple of 4.7L owners that use AMSOIL in these trannies. One is a direct Vendor for AMSOIL. Dodge went to the ATF+4 because it is Semi-Synthetic. Better lubrication and less heat. AMSOIL is fully synthetic and will yield even better results. However if anyone feels safer with the factory ATF+4 then thats what they need to use. Changing it on time is the important thing.