cold air intake?

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

TheRedneckWay

cold air intake?

Post by TheRedneckWay »

im looking at buying one of these also....for you guys who have one, how much are they? is the power gains worth it? how difficult to install?
pdt

Re: cold air intake?

Post by pdt »

TheRedneckWay wrote:im looking at buying one of these also....for you guys who have one, how much are they? is the power gains worth it? how difficult to install?
I bought one for my 04' 2500, it's an AEM system with a throttle body spacer. It robbed so much off of the low end and was so noisy that I took it off after a week. Maybe I will try it again when I get my exhaust, headers, and programmer.
HemiDave

cold air intake

Post by HemiDave »

I have the Volant cold air intake. It costs around $250-$280 depending on were you buy it from. If you do lose some power down low, it's minimal, and worth the power gained in the mid & upper range. Plus, you get a air filter that will last as long as your vehicle will. All you have to do is clean it.
PrettyBlueCoffin

Post by PrettyBlueCoffin »

Redneck do not worry about low end. You know with your 4:56 and all.
2004 RAM 1500 QUAD CAB(R) LARAMIE 4X2 SWB
3.92 Axle Ratio / Anti-Spin Differential
twistx

Post by twistx »

I've got a K&N 77-series intake. I dont think there was much performance gain except a faster throttle response. It looks real nice though, sounds pretty cool (except a bit of a lawn mower noise when i'm going uphill at low rpm). It made my exhaust a bit louder too. Here's where I got mine from:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-t1vEwSke0l ... 513771533P

The install was a breeze. I didn't run into any problems with it at all.

If you want a picture let me know, I'll snap one for you.
2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Quad Cab, Sport, HEMI
Borla catback exhaust w/ split rear outlets
K&N 77-Series CAI

Soon:
-Edelbrock IAS shocks ( on backorder :( )
-Warn Trans4mer grille guard, light bar, winch carrier
9.5ti winch, SDB-210 spotlights
mudbug02

Post by mudbug02 »

I installed the Volant intake and have seen the same improvements in throttle response. The engine does make a heartier roar due to the bigger intake. The install was simple. Other improvements or losses are negligible.
TheRedneckWay

Post by TheRedneckWay »

thanks prettybluecoffin. your concern touches me