03 RAM with shimmy

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

2SLO4U

03 RAM with shimmy

Post by 2SLO4U »

i have an 03 2WD ram QC with 20's that i bought a few months back. this past weekend i took it on the highway for the first extended trip (100+ miles) towing a horse trailer. i noticed a slight shimmy at certain speeds (no it was not the horse dancing around in the back:-). anyway around 62 - 68 MPH it shakes noticably through the steering wheel. at 70 and above it is not there at all.

i had the tires rotated and balanced about 1000 miles ago. the tire guys said the wheel are fine and nothing is out of round or bent. i noticed it when i first bought it but it was not so noticable. at the time of purchase i asked the sales man and he said that it is typical of the 20's.

the truck only has 13,000 miles on it now.

is it true about the 20's having a "typical" shimmy in them? has anyone experienced this same problem? towing or not.
2003 1500 HEMI 2WD Laramie
1964 D100 426W High Performance Package
rami

Post by rami »

I have not noticed this problem during my first 20k.
2004 QC Sport, 20's, 3:92, Leather, Rhino Spray In Liner, Snugtop Snuglid, Add on XM radio tuner!
pdt

Post by pdt »

I had that problem with my last Dodge truck and I was running 16" rims with 33" tires. It was due to the tires not being perfectly round (if you will) I found a guy that actually rotated the tire on the rim for me so that I didn't have to run extra weights to get a good ballance.

Try switching the front rims and tires with the rear ones and see if the problem goes away.