Anyone with STS?

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

millers_ram

Anyone with STS?

Post by millers_ram »

Has anyone installed the STS turbo system on their Ram?
hemifever

Post by hemifever »

Absolutely. The turbo really makes nice power. It has its quirks but it's worth it in the end.
1971 Plymouth Cuda - 451 stroker
2003 QC 4x4 Dodge Hemi - STS Turbo, KRC 6005 heads & rods, Ross pistons, 6.1L crank & cam, ARP main/head studs, JBA headers, SMT6, APS converter: 575rwtq/492rwhp @ 9psi
2005 Chrysler 300c
scottm

Post by scottm »

Have you run your HEMI in the quarter mile yet?
Headers, converter, gears and now a turbo. This
should make you have one helluva fast Quad Cab!
millers_ram

Post by millers_ram »

What do you mean by "quirks." Have you had any troubles at all.
hemifever

Post by hemifever »

I have not made a 1/4 pass yet. Without the turbo, I popped off a 9.81 1/8th with a 2.1 60'. Nice 60' for a 4x4 QC.

I have raced two of my buddies out on the street. One ran a 9.4 in the 1/8th and I easily beat him and my other buddy ran a 9.6 in the 1/8th before the install of a valve body and full bassani exhaust (headers on back). Last week we lined up as we normally do after I install a mod. He's got a '96 Indy Ram with the 5.9 and it's mod'd out. TB, M1, 1.7 rockers, headers, mopar pcm, 4.10's, etc. From a standstill to 70mph is what we raced. By 70mph I was about 4 truck lengths in front of him. I feel pretty confident I've got a LOW 14 second 4x4 QC. I feel I could tag some high 13's if I bumped up my boost a little more than 7.7psi.

As for the quirks. The f/i crowd, turbo's more than the supercharger cuz they boost at LOW rpm, have issues with the electronic throttle. It really takes tinkering with a map voltage clamp to get things right. Also, the pcm wants 14.7 a/f at part throttle. Well you can boost at part throttle...quite a bit....and you have to watch that closely so you don't run too much boost and get hot since you can't squirt more fuel in at part throttle. GM and Ford pcms get reprogrammed to handle that change in the "loop mode" but good ole Chrysler won't let you do a thing to the pcms. I installed an SMT6 piggyback on mine. So I've got some control over the fuel distribution and I shoot small amounts in at part throttle during boost to help the pcm not fight holding a 14.7 a/f with the extra airflow. I'm also playing with the map voltages to try and find a happy medium. F/I isn't 100% clean slate right now so if you jump in, don't expect it to run like a factory turbo'd vehicle would.
2003 QC 4x4 Dodge Hemi - STS Turbo, KRC 6005 heads & rods, Ross pistons, 6.1L crank & cam, ARP main/head studs, JBA headers, SMT6, APS converter: 575rwtq/492rwhp @ 9psi
2005 Chrysler 300c
millers_ram

Post by millers_ram »

How much did the turbo kit and everything for it run you?
hemifever

Post by hemifever »

5psi base kit, BOV, 7psi upgrade kit with electronic boost controller, and methanol injection installed and dyno tuned cost me about $5300. I got a deal on the stuff. There is a guy on hemitruckclub called kenihemi that is a dealer and sells stuff cheaper than msrp. I got mine elsewhere from someone trying to become a dealer so I got a pretty good deal.

The 7psi upgrade kit is tuneable to about 14psi with the base turbo unit. The fuel delivery will only handle 7 to 8psi though. I got an smt6 piggyback unit to have fuel management. The meth injection requires you to keep a tank of meth/water mix filled up but it will do awesome for cooling the charge, lowering cylinder temps, raising octane significantly, and lowering a/f in higher boost levels. And reduces/eliminates spark knock.
2005 Chrysler 300c