want to swap my 20's & st tires for mudders need help

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

levi

want to swap my 20's & st tires for mudders need help

Post by levi »

Hello everyone i have a 2003 hemi powered dodge ram 1500 4x4 with stock 20's and street tires. They have about 17000 miles on them now and i want to downsize the rims and put mud terrain tires on. Here is my dilemma....I have talked to dodge and they said i cant change the wheel or tire size without screwing up the computer in the truck. I spoke with a mechanic who told me as long as i keep the same outside tire size the computer will never know. Then i spoke to a tire guy who told me i could change but could only go to a 17 inch rim and keep the same overall tire heigth. I would appreciate any help here! I want to go to a 16 inch rim and keep the close to the same tire size only in a mud terrain or all terrain tire but im not sure on my options for going up a size in tire, whether or not i would need a lift or not? dont want to lift the truck. And lastly would this void my warranty? thanks for any help
levi :D
Sportster77

Post by Sportster77 »

I checked a set of 15" Dodge rims (from my '90 ram) on my '04 and they would NOT clear the disc brakes. So I would have to agree with the fact that you can't go lower than 17" . Sport Trucks Specialties has a wheel and tire calculator on their website that will help you find a combination that matches your factory wheel diameter.
Phill

Hemi's and Wings ... Nothing finer for a Sunday drive

'04 Ram 1500 Hemi
pdt

Post by pdt »

Good luck on your rim venture; my 2500 will not clear anything less than 17" rims, and let me tell you the rims and tires are expensive when you go the off road route.

I'm running Weld Evo rims with 33"s Goodyear MTR's...they will set you back close to 4k if you pay retail.
crashfirepm53

Post by crashfirepm53 »

I have 20'' weld's with Nitto Grappler's. These are sweet but not for the thin walets. With a 5th ( spare) $6700.