Transmission Swaps

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

Evan Brister

Transmission Swaps

Post by Evan Brister »

Does anyone know if a older Torqueflite 727 trans will bolt up to a late model 5.7 Hemi? It's for a street rod project.

thanks,
56Studebaker
moparmaker

Post by moparmaker »

I would love to know too. If you get any info before I do, please let me know.
mauicuda

727 onto 5.7L Hemi

Post by mauicuda »

Yes, the 727 matches the block bolt pattern of the new Hemi. Use the older starter (like from 90's truck motors). Use the hemi flex-plate, but you must cut off the ring-gear. I'm using a converter from Turbo Action, with the lugs evenly spaced to match the holes in the flex-plate. Johnny Vickers used another brand of T/C; also cutting off ring gear. See www.hawayaracing.com
DodgeHemi61

Post by DodgeHemi61 »

I Just joined this site and would like to know if using a 727 trans with the 5.7 does it take the small block trans?
And will the drive shaft length need to be changed if installing this motor in a E-Body. Thanks for your info and a great site.
TheBoss

Re: 727 onto 5.7L Hemi

Post by TheBoss »

mauicuda wrote:Yes, the 727 matches the block bolt pattern of the new Hemi. Use the older starter (like from 90's truck motors). Use the hemi flex-plate, but you must cut off the ring-gear. I'm using a converter from Turbo Action, with the lugs evenly spaced to match the holes in the flex-plate. Johnny Vickers used another brand of T/C; also cutting off ring gear. See www.hawayaracing.com
So could this work for a manual tranny as well?
hemidup

Post by hemidup »

Yup
392 Blown Hemi
57HEMICUDA

Post by 57HEMICUDA »

YES THE 5.7 FITS NICELY IN THE E BODIES. SOME INFO ON MY SITE http://mysite.verizon.net/ls6ron/
TheBoss

Post by TheBoss »

Well I was looking more for my truck. Not lucky enough to have an e-body... :roll:
CAR CRAZY

5.7 flex plates

Post by CAR CRAZY »

well, I just got off of the phone to the chrysler tech hotline and they said to cut off the starter ring gear on the supplied flex plate that comes with the crate motor in order to fit this motor with a A904.. maybe I shoulda reread the posts here :oops: because they said the same thing! the installation / instructions that came with the crate assembly says to "the converter should have the starter ring gear removed" off the converter itself..
the guy on the tech line says that is incorrect. yea, no kidding! the ram flex plate is 3/4" too large to fit inside the converter bellhousing and that also throws off the nose for the starter as well.. :-?
so, its looks like a bit more work is on tap.

this new heart is going into a 68 fastback A-body by the way, folks.. :D
57HEMICUDA

Post by 57HEMICUDA »

THE HEMI FLEXPLATE WILL WORK BEHIND THE 727 AS LONG AS YOU CUT THE RING GEAR OFF,USE THE OLD STARTER,AND ELONGATE ONE OF THE CONVERTER BOLT HOLES,BE SURE YOU USE A ZERO BALANCE CONVERTER http://mysite.verizon.net/ls6ron/
CAR CRAZY

flex plate

Post by CAR CRAZY »

an update on the Ram flex plate that comes with the crate motor:~

Well, first you break out your die grinder and cut off the production welds from the ring gear- boy, those suckers are tough! :) at least thats what I did first, and then chuck up the flex plate in a lathe and start cutting just above the stamped symmentrical bosses for the mounting points for the converter and that is just at .750" smaller than the flex plate as delivered from chrysler. and thats with the ring gear already removed from the RAM flexplate. and now, the nose of the starter clears the now flexing RAM flex plate. :D definately take a look at the trans bellhousing to motor mounting area at the back of the engine, because even if its off- even just a little ( like .003" or better.. :o ) then the newly flexing flexplate will be needing to be replaced sometime sooner than we would like it to be. :cry:

now, its onto several other issues that need to be addressed with this marrige of new and old school stuff.. :)