05 Hemi Comp Cam

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

waglobal

05 Hemi Comp Cam

Post by waglobal »

Beware---FYI on installing a Comp Cam XE268 and beehive springs in a 2005 Hemi 5.7: This does not work. My motor was disassembled and the old cam removed only to find that the beehive springs do not fit the 2005 Hemi 5.7 heads properly. They are too big (diameter), which will cause spring and valve instability. Comp Cams says install the springs, although they have never tested them on the 2005 Hemi 5.7. I think the likely result if you do install that cam and springs is a dropped valve in 5k to 7k miles. The solution: None. No company appears to have the right springs. They will appear some day. A machineshop can make shims that might help the fit of the beehives, but why take the chance?

2005 Dodge RAM 2500
Quad Cab
5.7 Hemi
6-Speed Manual Trans
Rear-end 3.73
Anti-Spin Differential Axle
PowerWire
Gibson Super Truck Exhaust
JBA Titanium Headers
AirRaid Intake
MotorVator Throttle Body Spacer
180 Thermostat
6" Superlift
Bilstein Shocks
Rockrunner
Hypertech III
Lund Hinged Tonneau Cover
G-TECH Pro SS
Flannery

Post by Flannery »

On my 03 Hemi, I have about 22k miles on my XFI 273 cam / the beehive springs and I have yet to see a lick of trouble of of either of the two. I admit that the cam is a little larger than I was looking for, but every time I get in and just listen to the idle........ Yea....worth every bit!

But anyways, I have towed a few cars on a fullsize tandem axle trailer and have not had any problems so far. For the 2005 year models I didn't know there was much more than the MDS and computer that was different than the 03's. I didn't have any clearance problems in the pocket of the valve spring seat or anything mechanical. The worst problem I had was idlability at the begenning but after the computer adjusting to the cam profile, it was all cake after that. Just thought I'd state that not all are bad.
2003 Ram 2wd RC/SW - 3.92 w/ LSD, CAI, TMR Disabled, Comp. Cams XFI-273 273/277 - .547/.550, BeeHive Springs, Gibson SuperTruck Exhaust, 3"/5" DJM Sus Drop
Bottom16

Post by Bottom16 »

Please correct me if I'm wrong since I'm not a Dodge Ram owner, but I don't think the MDS is available in the trucks until '06 model year w/the HEMI. I think the MDS came out for the HEMI in the Jeep for '05 and maybe a car or two from CHrysler/Dodge?

I do pose the same problem with the cam for mine in that it won;t work with the MDS and no one can crack the stupid code for the computer...AARGGHHHH!!!
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited w/5.7L HEMI; Full AiRaid Cold Air Intake; Borla Cat-Back Exhaust
rjmyer

my 03 1500 hemi

Post by rjmyer »

i had the comp cam put in my truck also.having trouble with the idle jumping.having to tap the gas when i stop while idling in drive.have any suggestions?sure wold appreiciate it.but i agree, the power increase is awesome.