5.7 HEMI SWAPS

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

57HEMICUDA

5.7 HEMI SWAPS

Post by 57HEMICUDA »

JUST FINISHING UP MY 70 CUDA CONVERTIBLE WITH A 5.7 HEMI WWW.57HEMICUDA.COM I HAVE TO SAY EXCEPT FOR THE ELECTRONICS, IT IS A STRAIGHTFORWARD SWAP.THE CHRYSLER ELECTRONICS ARE NOT ALL ABOUT PERFORMANCE, OR EASY TO PROGRAM. SO I RAN THE ENGINE OFF AN LS1 CAMARO COMPUTER AND SENSORS WORKED REALLY WELL ,AND WAS MUCH EASIER TO PROGRAM. AN AFTERMARKET ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM WOULD PROBABLY BE EASIER BUT HAS NO OBDII COMPATIBILITIES AND ARE ABOUT $2700.OO.I INSTALLED A COMP CAM AND SPRINGS AND TTI HEADERS AND A CHRYSLER 300 INTAKE WITH A CAMARO THROTTLE BODY,POWER IS UNBELIVABLE
mauicuda

5.7 swap

Post by mauicuda »

Hi Ron, How did you interface the LS-1 controller to the hemi harness & ecu plugs? How were you able to generate a quasi MAF sensor signal for the LS1 computer, or did you just hook up the MAF at the TB to the LS1 computer.
I am in the process of installing a 5.7 into my '68 Barracuda. Started with the mopar crate motor; am using TTI headers and motor mount adaptors (no k-member mod's).
I've read the HRM articles by Steve Dulcich, showing the gains of using the CompCam cam & springs. I'm going to start with stock cam, but want to raise the max engine rpm (as determined by the mopar computer) from 5700 to 6200 or so.
I already have shop manuals for '05 Ram and 2000 LS1 (Pontiac).
Aloha, Dave
57HEMICUDA

Post by 57HEMICUDA »

if you are running a crate enigine,i would really recommend an aftermarket engine management system like fast.i had to machine a new crank sensor and cam sensor,which requires engine disassembly.it was very labor intensive,i don't know if i would even do again.i had to disassemble the engine anyway, wanted to spruce the heads up alittle and add comp springs.your engine would be the 4 bbl type intake mine is the 300c type,besides needing 16 coils, have more detail http://mysite.verizon.net/ls6ron/
Hawaya

5.7 67 Barracuda

Post by Hawaya »

I installed a 5.7 in my 67 Fastback Barracuda recently. Pictures and many details of the installation are on my website if anyone is interested in looking at them. I did a complete ground up resto in the process with many modern updates.
www.hawayaracing.com

JV
JohnnyVickers
57HEMICUDA

Post by 57HEMICUDA »

I really love the old fastbacks,how do you like the k frame you got?Have you driven it yet,does it feel alright on the street?I was looking at one of them for my next project.Thanks,Ron
Hawaya

Front End

Post by Hawaya »

I have about 350 miles on the car now. It really drives good. Steering and handling are much improved over the stock system. I am going to add a front stablizer also that I think will improve it even more.
The AJE front end was nice, but is not just a bolt in unit. There are about 3 things that you need to do or keep in mind to make it come out the way it needs to be. First, I had to shorten the bottom A-arms by 1 1/2" to get the wheels up under the car the proper amount. Second, the rack gear box needs to be installed 1" higher than the provided location in order to get the bump steer correct without the car setting too low. Third is you need to run at least 16" rims on the front to allow for clearence of the tie rod where it connects to the spindle. If not, then you have to run a shallow off set in the wheel or space it out for clearence. I have 15's on my car now, so I had to space the front wheels out 1/2" for clearence. I am going to put some different wheels on it as soon as I decide what I want. This will allow me to run more offset backspacing and move the wheels futher in which I think will improve the looks of the car a bit.
JohnnyVickers
dodgetruck1

Hawaya, how did you hook up the Hemi

Post by dodgetruck1 »

Hawaya,

I just bought a 5.7L Hemi off Ebay. Came with complete harness and engine/trans computers. I am hooking to a manual trans, the motor did not come with one ( my choice).
How did you hook up your computer? Did you use the OEM harness or go with one from Street & Performance?

If ANYONE knows for sure whether the OEM harness can be spliced into and wired up, it would help me a ton.

Thanks a bunch,
Kris W.
`67 D-100, 5.7L Hemi project
`05 Magnum 2.7L
57HEMICUDA

Post by 57HEMICUDA »

If you are putting the engine in a truck,and really worried about performance,the chrysler electronics would probably work great.Get a Ram wiring diagram and go crazy.My 70 Cuda is running off GM electronics because i was making alot of upgrades and wanted to get as much out of it as i could.For a truck I'd use the Chrysler stuff,if the wiring is more then you feel you can handle,the Street and Performane would work great and hook up easy
Hawaya

Wiring

Post by Hawaya »

I sent my ECU and the orginal harness to Street & Performance. They actually send it to another guy that does the work. He modified the orginal harness (removing all of the auto trans stuff and other things I would not be needing) and re-programmed the ECU.
You can get a wiring diagram and spent the time to weed through all of the wiring, that is possible. But, you will still have to have the ECU re-programmed. You know your skills better than anyone. But I would say that having it done was worth the money for me.
JohnnyVickers
dodgetruck1

Post by dodgetruck1 »

Thanks for the info, did they charge the same price as the cost of a new harness to have the subcontractor redo your OEM harness? I didn't see this possibility on their latest pricing sheet. I'd consider it if I could save some time and depend on the work, I am somewhat worried about cutting the wrong wire and then having to re-splice.

Also, I wrote S&P and they said, because I am using a manual trans behind the Hemi, I would not need the reprogram. Do you know what they reprogrammed yours for? Maybe gear ratios and speed outputs? I suppose they told me what they did because I will be getting the speed from my NP435 tranny.

Thanks Again,
Kris W.
`67 D-100, 5.7L Hemi project
`05 Magnum 2.7L
Hawaya

Harness

Post by Hawaya »

Kris

Don't know about the difference in price. When I had mine done, the only option was to have my orginal harness modified. Maybe now they just make new ones, I am not sure.
My system was 2003 which has a single computer for the engine and trany, I think the later models had seperate computers for the engine and trany. If this is the case, then you may be able to get by without having the ECM reprogrammed. S&P will steer you in the right direction there.
JohnnyVickers