New Hemi motor problems

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

Dychotomy

New Hemi motor problems

Post by Dychotomy »

I have an '04 Dodge Ram Quad-Cab with a 5.7 Hemi in it. Two days ago it simply dies on the freeway while screaming along at 20 MPH in rush hour traffic. With 31k miles on it, the service manager at the dealership said the motor was shot and needed a full top-end rebuild, to include brand new heads.

When I asked how this could have happened, she said, "Sometimes engines just go."

Now I was born at night, but not last night. And I have worked on enough engines to know a properly cared for engine with 31k miles on it doesn't just blow.

Has anyone else seen this before? The service manager was so calm about this, I'm wondering if this is an inherent flaw in the Hemi that she knows about that I don't? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks folks.
To ignore the facts, does not change the facts.
moparmaker

Post by moparmaker »

First off, I have not heard of any problems like this with the Hemi. I work with a Dodge dealership, (parts manager) and I see these trucks every day. The only one I have ever seen with engine problems was in an 03 Ram with a hypertech programmer installed. This engine still ran, but had a terrible knock. After much head scratching, we decided to pull a head due to the spark plugs being damaged on the tip. We found all 4 pistons on the LH bank damaged by what appeared to be preignition, the ring lands on the top of all 4 were broken with no sign of interference. We concluded that the programmer was set for premium fuel and were pretty sure the truck was running on regular, good cause for the preignition.
Anyway, we installed an engine from a salvage yard and I aquired the Hemi, brought it home and finished tearing it down. I have allready purchased 4 new pistons, rings, gaskets, etc and plan to drop it in my '87 Ramcharger.
I would be very reluctant to let them "rebuild" the engine without first talking to one of the technicians that probally knows more about an engine than "she" does. I don't know the reputation of the dealership's service dept., but with your knowledge of engines you could question the tech enough to determine if someone is trying to jerk your chain.
Good Luck,
T.
Dychotomy

Post by Dychotomy »

I went to the dealership to ask the tech about this. The tech stated that some of the '03 and '04 Hemi motors had heads with a faulty valve springs and several were broken when he took the heads off. He also said this was not the first Hemi that he has worked on with this problem.

The engine definitely sounded like it lost a couple of cylinders right before it died all together. The fix for Dodge was to replace the heads all together, as these were now damaged.

Now I don't know enough about the Hemi motor to even be dangerous. If this engine sucks a valve, (to a point) what else should I request be done? Should the head replacement be enough?

Does the tech comments sound in-line with anything else you ahve seen or is this just cover talk for something else?

Thanks for your comments.
To ignore the facts, does not change the facts.
hemifever

Post by hemifever »

Valve spring failure has been reported by a bunch of early '03 owners, you can find failures all throughout the forum boards. Haven't kept up with the '04 folks but still.....valvespring failures are reported a bunch.
1971 Plymouth Cuda - 451 stroker
2003 QC 4x4 Dodge Hemi - STS Turbo, KRC 6005 heads & rods, Ross pistons, 6.1L crank & cam, ARP main/head studs, JBA headers, SMT6, APS converter: 575rwtq/492rwhp @ 9psi
2005 Chrysler 300c
moparmaker

Post by moparmaker »

If the heads are the only problem, replacing them will definately fix your truck. If the valves contacted the pistons, you may have more problems but any damage will be obvious with the heads removed. Personally, I would not have a problem with the dealer replacing the heads. What I don't understand is how did this happen at 20 MPH and low RPM. My experence with broken valve springs is usually at high RPM. Not saying this cannot happen!
Please let us know how it goes!