Hemi F1 ford pickup

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

capt'nben

Hemi F1 ford pickup

Post by capt'nben »

I am brand new to this forum and I am starting to build a hemi powered 4wd 1948 ford F1 pickup.
Actually I have bought a 2004 durango 5.7 4wd donor car and after much measuring I have decided to add 4" to the length of the little truck by sectioning the bed just behind the cab and install the body on the durango chassis.
I have most of the wiring but will need to do away with the anti theft funcion. I hope to retain the automatic 4wd and antiskid brakes and also the cruse control. I want to make the truck look as near stock as I can both inside and out. This will be my 4th computer controlled swap but My first Mopar, the other 3 were Ford 5.0's
Any one have some suggestions fo where to best get info on these systems.
Thanks Ben
capt'nben

A bit more on project F1 Hemi

Post by capt'nben »

First of all a little background on the motovation for this rather unusual build. When I was a kid about 11 years old my Dad started to teach me to drive out in the country roads of southeast Oklahoma. our trusty steed was Dad's little green 1948 F1 truck. I've always wanted to have a truck that looked like the first vehicle I ever drove.
Dad"s F1 was a flathead 6cyl 3speed with what was refurred to as the drunken monkey front suspension because that was pretty much how it drove. I can still remember how it liked to wander all over the road.
I happened onto this truck at a swap meet and bought it, then started to figure out how to build the thing. At first I thought a mustang II front end and mabe a 351 Ford winsor engine but I happened onto this Durango in the parting out section of the paper and I figured Hemi? now that would be way up there on the cool meter!!
I bought the thing minus the body brought it home and started looking it over thinking first to swap the Hemi and transmission into the Ford frame,but what to do about the front end? 4wd would be neat.
Well after spending most of a day walking back and forth between Ford and Durango with a tape measure I decided to stretch the bed on the ford 4" between the cab and rear fenders to make the wheelbases match and install the nearly new Durango under the Ford sheet metal. I will fit easily with the bed stretch and except for wirng the computer it should be a snap. Stay tuned
Ben
scottm

Post by scottm »

You will DEFINITELY need to keep us updated and share photos!