O2 SIMULATORS 04 HEMI RAM. WHAT REALLY WORKS....

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

MEANGENE75

O2 SIMULATORS 04 HEMI RAM. WHAT REALLY WORKS....

Post by MEANGENE75 »

after installing mopar headers and high flow cats ive got a constant check engine light for low catylst effeciency bank 1 and 2. didnt do it with headers and stock cats on a mutilated factory y pipe. but as soon as a get the pretty stainless units and get about 20 miles on em light came on and hasnt left. i continuously clear the code with my drbIII but it comes right back. calling 1-800-84-mopar got me nowhere. guys there said they had never heard of the problem but would look into it. i called back a couple of weeks later and same guy told me that it was an issue and the header manufacturer blames the header itself stating there is a problem with the collector. B.S. i know it becouse i drove nearly 2 thousand miles with these headers and stock cats with a cut up pipe. most threads i read on simulators lead to ticked off truck owners and refunds being issued for stuff that just doesnt work. i really need some help from someone who owns a simular truck with headers and cats and has successfully done something to get rid of the light for good. any help is greatly appreciated at this desperate hour.................gene
04 hemi, sc, sport, red, 3.92 posi, 22" wheels, flowmaster cat back, mopar long tube headers, srt 10 hood, mopar cod air,cold air duct, hypertech, ground force drop, sirius radio, momo sub, tint, 180 thermostat, silverstar lamps, mopar bed cover.
P.E.P.I. Racing

Post by P.E.P.I. Racing »

try new cats ?? what type of cats are on it now ????
V10man

Post by V10man »

The cats need to get up to temp before they will lite off and start to work. By having the long tube headers and high flow cats they may not be reaching that temp. Did you move the cats away from the headers ? They need to be as close to the headers as you can get them. Maybe try wraping them with a header wrap just to see if it makes a differance. If you think that they are not geting hot enough. But be carefull you could over heat them and melt them down . If you do wrap them go slow at frist and keep close eye on them and things around them. How large are the new ones smaller ones get up to temp faster. Maybe start by wraping pipes to the cats.
Good luck
MEANGENE75

Post by MEANGENE75 »

am i the only one with headers and a check engine light or have we all come to live with it and not complain???

cats are the high flow units included with mopar performance parts headers kit. they are in the same location as included with kit. they are a little further back than stock though.

my thinking is this. mopar will sell you a header set with a high flow cat y pipe that they know is going to set a check engine lamp. no o2 simulators are available yet. no programmer can ignore this code. what do we do.

correct me if im wrong (please) but the mopar kit looks exactly like what i have seen advertised as dynatech headers. but it does have a cool laser cut logo tack welded onto the primary.

my truck is the second of 2 we have done at my dealership (CDJ) that has this problem. 100 percent failure rate. not good.....
04 hemi, sc, sport, red, 3.92 posi, 22" wheels, flowmaster cat back, mopar long tube headers, srt 10 hood, mopar cod air,cold air duct, hypertech, ground force drop, sirius radio, momo sub, tint, 180 thermostat, silverstar lamps, mopar bed cover.
capt'nben

secondary O2

Post by capt'nben »

I think that the folks at street and performance can disable the secondary O2, might be worth a phone call.
Ben