5.7 Hemi Belt Drive Distributor Conversion

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

Redline-Rec

5.7 Hemi Belt Drive Distributor Conversion

Post by Redline-Rec »

Hi, here's my problem, hope your experts might help, any idea's welcome. I'm building a 1968 Dodge Dart drag car with a 5.7 Hemi. I'm building a sheet metal intake with dual carbs, custom cam ect., I want to install a belt drive distributor and delete all of the factory ignition and EFI electronics. I do my own machining and fabricating, that's not a problem. I need to know what type of distibutor would be best, should I modifying a crank trigger type distributor to belt drive and use a crank trigger with a MSD ignition ?. Can I use the stock camshaft or crank trigger as a signal? Should the distributor have mech advance or should I go with electronic advance MSD products? Here's the big question... how can I utilize the dual spark plugs?? I could run 2 distibutors, but do I need 2 seperate ignition systems. Thanks for any help ...... Jim
57HEMICUDA

Post by 57HEMICUDA »

Someone has already made a distributor to go on the GM LS1 engine,they used a small block ford distributor and welded an aluminum piece on the front timing cover to hold it and ran it off the front of the cam gear,but unless you have two distibutors I don't know how you would fire the second plug.Fast has a set up for the 5.7 hemi which works off the factory sensors.You could use it to run the ignition and carburators to run the fuel,Or you could run a n MSD with a crank trigger,but you will have to put some kind of keyway on the harmonic balancer,because it can spin on the crank.I ran GM LS1`electronics but had to machine the crank and cam reluctor rings http://mysite.verizon.net/ls6ron/