03 ram - Anti Slip has locked - anyone else

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

2SLO4U

03 ram - Anti Slip has locked - anyone else

Post by 2SLO4U »

short story of destruction.

i drove my truck from Gainesville, FL to Trapon Springs, FL the other day. roughly 180 miles one way. I cruised the interstate at about 75-80 the whole way. got off the interstate to fill up on gas and take SR 54 to Tarpon and when i leave the pump i put the truck in a hard u-turn and the rear end anti-slip is locked up in that the inner wheel of the turn is not slipping - the truck is making a horrible screeching noise with some SOLID popping sounds. with the wheel straight it is operating normally.

i get it to my destination and we put it on his lift and pull the cover of the back of the rear end. the "steel" from the clutch pack of the anti-slip is in pieces in the bottom of the case with little metal shavings EVERYWHERE.

the truck is a 2003 RAM 1500 , 20' wheels, 3.91 anti-slip, has 27008 miles and went into service Dec 03 so i still have some time left on the D/C warranty. i took it to Tarpon Dodge and left it. it is still there awaiting its turn to be repaired, hopefully, under warranty. i bought the truck with 11,000 miles on it and under my watch it has been babied and driven like a little old lady from pasadena. we've towed horses with it and hauled brush onthe ranch. only a few long trips in state and one out of state trip.

anyone else have this issue with the anti-slip self destructing like this? i have heard the bearings on the rear ends are basically junk and will fail between 25K and 30K miles but the anti-slip?!!

Ben
2003 1500 HEMI 2WD Laramie
1964 D100 426W High Performance Package