5.7 Manual Tranny

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

StingK

5.7 Manual Tranny

Post by StingK »

I see that some folks are bolting their 5.7's to some "normal" transmissions.
I have a 5.7 Magnum that I absolutely love however, if there is anything I don't like about my ride, it's that they didn't offer a 5 or 6 speed manual.

What kind of project would I be looking at if I were to decide to swap the wimpy auto with a manual? I know I would have to get rid of the computer but, I'm not sure of the hidden details.

Thanks.
MangoInTX

Post by MangoInTX »

Your aware the tranny has a computer, TCM. The TCM interacts w/the PCM and if you yank the TCM I'm not sure what the PCM will do... it may freak out.. may not.

Sorry, but I don't have a definitive answer.
TheBoss

Post by TheBoss »

I am also interested in putting a manual in my Ram... any more insight would be great!
grnfsh

Post by grnfsh »

Here you go, this company has mated a 6 speed and a 5 speed to the hemi. The 6 speed will go in our LX cars with a custom tcm flash included there are no issues with the tranny. I actually have one of their trannys in my cuda.

http://www.keislerauto.com/mopar/index.html
2006 Charger R/T
2005 Ram 1500 Hemi
1970 plymouth Cuda 440
hemidup

Post by hemidup »

They're also in the process of making a electronic 4 speed automatic for for small blocks and the Gen III (5.7/6.1) Hemis. :wink:
392 Blown Hemi
PB Pod

Post by PB Pod »

McLeod is releasing a modular bell housing that will work with the 5.7/6.1. You install a plate to the motor and it adapts the modular big block bell housing. By going with the big block bell housing you can run a larger diameter clutch. A plate is bolted to the back of the bell housing to allow you to bolt up all of the popular transmissions. I plan to run a Viper T-56 behind the 6.1 going in my 64 B-body, but you could just as easily run a TKO, an A-833, or a Richmond, or a Jerico.

Which brings me to a question. The original Viper motor was derived from the truck cast iron V-10. That V-10 was essentially a 360 with two cylinders grafted on to it. So we are essentially talking about a small block Mopar here.

At the time of the Viper development Chrysler owned Lamborghini. All the aluminum castings for the Viper V-10 were done at Lambo, but my guess is that the block retained its Chrysler basic configuration. If that were true, then a Viper bell housing would bolt to any small block Mopar. Since the 3rd gen hemis use a small block bell housing bolt pattern it stands to reason that a Viper bell housing and clutch would bolt right up to the new hemi as well. Since one source of T-56s is wrecks, a person could buy the whole deal rather than just the tranny.

Anyone know for sure? That would sure make the swap into the new cars a hell of a lot easier.
5SpeedHemi

Post by 5SpeedHemi »

I ordered my 03 2500 Hemi with a manual shift. Since then I installed a B&D short throw shift kit what a difference that made ..only problem was the clutch let go at 50K. Good thing it looked tiny in comparison to others ive seen, After that installed a centerline dual friction. No problems so far .there a lot of fun especially with LS. I drove my friends auto 2500 there is no comparison mine smokes it no problem. Would love to have one in a lighter 1500 though that would be sweet
03/ Silver 2500 QC/LB 4X4 Hemi 5 Speed Manual shift