Oil Change?

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

gkwait

Oil Change?

Post by gkwait »

I am new to the Hemi world and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to which type of oil to use in this new beast? Also, does anyone have an opinion on changing the oil after the 1st 1000 miles?
Thanks.
tfrancis1

Oil change

Post by tfrancis1 »

I did my oil change at 2000 miles. However the Canadian dealers do not stock the Chrsyler oil filter listed for the Hemi (black). The white filter they stock same as the 5.9 is white and is clearly visible from the front of the RAM 2500 HD. I put a Fram which is black like the fatory.
gkwait

Thannks

Post by gkwait »

Thanks for the warning on the filter color. What type of oil did you use? Synthetic, or normal? What weight?
tfrancis1

Oil Change

Post by tfrancis1 »

I just did 10w30. Syntheic is not called for. Plus once you start you can not go back.
schmidtmike_

synthetic oil

Post by schmidtmike_ »

contrary to popular belief, synthetic oil and mineral oil can be used interchangably. I have consulted many master mechanics including many from UTI. They say that synthetic is safe for use in any engine at ANY point in it's life, and mineral oil can be used if synthetic is no longer desired.
gkwait

I hate to ask

Post by gkwait »

Without starting WWIII, does the Hemi prefer any particular brand?
schmidtmike_

Post by schmidtmike_ »

The hemi (like all engines) prefers Royal Purple synthetic oil. The stuff is like a miracle in a bottle! My Torino geined 12.7 hp and 19.2 ft/lbs at the wheels after I started using that stuff.[/quote]
dodgehemi345hp

Post by dodgehemi345hp »

I have a friend that started using royal purple at 3000 miles and in 1 week he developed a oil leak.Call it a what you will but a 2002 chevy at my work did the same thing and that royaol purple stuff is not cheap.
moe74

OIL

Post by moe74 »

Moe here Well cats. Heres the botton line. before 1999 all good automotive oils had a addative, short name zinc. Its a high pressure wear addative, manly for cams & lifters, & high speed use. But the government thought we needed to be protected from this heavey metal and the EPA made the oil makers take it out of automotive oils. But not to worry, just go to the Dodge dealer or a G.M. dealer. Ask for a can of E.O.S. its 16 oz use it to put together a new motor, put lots on lifters & cam & valve train. And one can in at each oil change. Oh and dont pay more than 8 or 9 buks, just go to an other dealer. Other wise I dont care what dino oil you use. Just use E.O.S.
Moes gone.
glz927

Oil Change

Post by glz927 »

Reading all the posts about what oil to it seems everyone mentions 10w-30. I thought the recommended oil for the Hemi was 5w-30. :roll:
I need gas again?
moe74

Oils 5w Vs 10w

Post by moe74 »

Ok heres the thing, some of my thinking is that you want as thick of oil as you can use and still get it started in cold weather. Part of that depends on the battery, starter ect.
But to my trhinking 5w is just TO thin for me. Also that dependends on what part of the U.S. you live in. If you are expecting temps in the -40 F a 5w-10w might be just fine.
But if you live in death valley a 20w-50w my be better. But after driving Mopars from 1965 Ihave found that you can run oil just a little heaver than the service manual recomends for the model you have. And dont forget a can of E.O.S. in each oil change.
Thats the ONLY way to get zinc back in your oil. Moe
crash

Post by crash »

i can't seem to find any place that sells E.O.S.!!!!!!!!!!!!!
where did you get it?
moe74

E.O.S.

Post by moe74 »

Any Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth dealer should be able to get it. Any G.M dealer should have and or be able to get it. Engine Oil; Supplement, comes in a plastic can just like oil, only its 16 oz. I get mine here in Wichita, Kansas at a G.M.C. truck dealer. At one Ply. dealer the parts man said he would order it for me, IF I bought a case at a time. But the price was right 5 something a can, 12 cans to a case. One Dodge dealer, that I had been buying parts from sence 1967, moved and jacked the price from 6 buks to 12 buks. I told the parts manger to "take a good look at me" he ask why, and I said "cause its the last time you are going to see me in this dealership!" If push comes to shuve I could give the name of dealer I get mine at, maybe he could ship it to you. Or maybe I could get it for you and ship it to you. Let me know.
here is my E-Mail moe7404@veracom.net Moe
Auburn

Post by Auburn »

5w30 oil is the correct oil for the 5.7 engine. I would recommend you stay with it through the warranty period. After that, you might jack it up a bit for warmer climates, or hotter running situations. In my mind better to change more often than push the oil. As far as changing the oil when new, I would change it the day I bought the vehicle. Almost all of the machining debris that will ever be seen in an engine is seen in the first miles of a truck. By the way, if you did not know, the oil pump comes before the oil filter on all engine designs (except dry sump). So, cleaner oil equals less wear on the oil pump and relief valve. :D