5.7 to a challenger

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

helliotracing

5.7 to a challenger

Post by helliotracing »

anyone ever took on wiring one of these into an older car. Aside from just buying a harness from s&p. Just cant seem to drop a grand for a harness. But I will if i have to, Any ideas would help.
It will run rich forever but it will only run lean once.
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

Contact Ron, he has some experience in this. Here's the link to his website;
http://mysite.verizon.net/ls6ron/
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
helliotracing

Post by helliotracing »

thanks for the link, he seems to have it goin on with that cuda. goin to pick up my 5.7 this morning and pick up the mounts at Mancini in the process. will post more as this thing comes along.
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

You're welcome, and good luck on your swap! Keep us posted on how it's going and what you have to do to make it happen. I hope to be doing the same thing with my Cuda in the next year or two.
thedodgeboys

Post by thedodgeboys »

mopar now has standalone ecu and wiring harness for the 6.1 \5.7 swap.

much cleaner than the early swap stuff out there, it use an aem box with mopar harness and support.

I have one that I am currently installing.
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

thedodgeboys wrote:mopar now has standalone ecu and wiring harness for the 6.1 \5.7 swap.

much cleaner than the early swap stuff out there, it use an aem box with mopar harness and support.

I have one that I am currently installing.
I knew about the MP ECM and harness, I just have a hard time with the $2400 asking price! :o
helliotracing

Post by helliotracing »

Motor and car in the same garage now. Now just wondering how much is different on a 2006 than an older one. And how much will change over from a 6.1. From what I was told the motor came out of a 2006 charger its a 5.7 but it has upgraded ignition with no plug wires. Looks like we are gonna use the s&p wiring harness and mounts but the oil pan will most likely be from Charlies. Taking all the pointers anyone will give. Would love to keep the 5 speed auto but dont really look like it will fit without more tunnel mods than I care to do to this car. Like I said any other info wont be turned down.
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

When you say 'the S&P harness' are you refering to their modified factory harness and ECM? Do you have a price on their stuff? S&P was they way I was figuring on going is why I ask.
helliotracing

Post by helliotracing »

yes street and performance harness and factory computer. This seems the cheapest way to at least get this thing going without too much headache. Still looks to be around $3000 even after you have a motor and transmission secure. But thats figuring a harness, oil pan, motor plates, and fuel system and whatever other extras come up. I have talked to s&p and they sent a catalog and a dvd on some of thier installs, seem to be pretty good with this swap.
helliotracing

Post by helliotracing »

just curious, has anyone used one of th 5 speed autos in a car body yet? if so what all did you run into?