New MSD engine controller

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

392heminut

New MSD engine controller

Post by 392heminut »

The new Mopar Muscle (February) has a spot in it announcing the new MSD engine controller for the 5.7-6.1 hemis. The lead time on magazines is usually around 2 months, so MSD probably gave the picture and info to them back in October, maybe even September. MSD also shows the controller and part #'s on their site for wiring harnesses for different applications. I gave them a call to get more info, and they said that nothing would be available until May of 08. They couldn't even give me any kind of a price on any thing! Why do these companies do this? Goodmark has a habit of advertising Mopar repro sheetmetal parts at least a year before they ever appear on the market. I guess they want to lead us around like an old draft horse with a carrot in front of our nose?
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
gremlinsteve

Post by gremlinsteve »

we talked with them months ago. fed them info they did not even have.
if you wanta good controller for a carb'd late model hemi. shoot me a pm. ill get one out to you asap.

msd was spose to work with us on the controller. dunno what happened.

steve
helliotracing

Post by helliotracing »

Thats funny cause I have one of the MSD controllers here in my garage. The funny thing was that the tech guy from MSD guy said they havent yet released this out yet and I had already gotten mine from Jegs, they have them in stock and ready to ship. Hope to have mine up and running over Christmas break. By the way summit says this is a special order and it will take up to a month to get but Jegs had mine to me before I got up the next morning. Good luck.....................helliotracing
It will run rich forever but it will only run lean once.
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

Hmmm, that's interesting! I'll have to go on Jeg's website and see if I can find any pricing. Thanks for the headsup!
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

Checked Jeg's website and you were right, they show them in stock and ready to ship. Controller $499, harness $202, and harness adapters for F.I. $158. Looks like my 5.7 is going to be MSD equiped!
helliotracing

Post by helliotracing »

Thats what I got on mine. Looks like its gonna work accept the crank sensor is different, mine has the new smaller style and the harness came with the older and bigger weather pack adapter. I might just swap out the crank sensors if I can find one.
It will run rich forever but it will only run lean once.
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

So, does the MSD box work for both carb and F.I. applications with the appropriate adapters?