73 Charger Hemi Swap (center link stering clearance issues)

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

pblake

73 Charger Hemi Swap (center link stering clearance issues)

Post by pblake »

I am putting a 5.7L Hemi in a 73 Charger. I am using TTI headers and mounts with a Milodon center sump pan. Milodon sais that I should not be having any clearance issues with the center link. Well I have messed with the motor angle and the center link hits the pan only on the pasenger side right were the bend is on the center link and where the cetner link attaches to the idler arm. I am exsploring a quick ratio idler and Pitman arm but need to install the headder first to see if I will have an issue with TTI headers and quick ratio parts. Firm Feel sells the quick ratio and said that it moves the center link back 1.5". MY QUESTION is - has anyone put this motor in a 73 B body with a milodon pan? if so were there any clearance issues? Has anyone done a 73 B body with TTI headders with the quick ratio set up? I wonder if something is out of wack on my car!! Never been wrecked or stering parts bent (car has been in the family since new). Is it possible that the motor mounts on the K frame are welded incorrectly from the factory that moves the motor tward the pasenger side of the car (motor is ofset in the car from facotory but how much)? Need some help here!!!
392heminut

Re: 73 Charger Hemi Swap (center link stering clearance issues)

Post by 392heminut »

There are always tolerances that the factory allows, and your car may be near the limits to one side. I've just put a 5.7 in my 70 Cuda with a Charlie's oilpan, TTI headers, and TTI mounts and have no clearance issues at all. I would lean towards the Milodon pan as the problem more than anything else.
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
pblake

Post by pblake »

Well I installed the headders last night and there is plenty of clearance for the quick ratio pitman and idler arm. it is only suposet to move it back 1.5". I think I will go that route to correct this problem even though it is more money (300.00 or so - that has been the trend on this project). I think I will like the quick ratio steering better anyway. I have modified the milodon pan to allow the engine trany brace/bracket to fit so I know I couldnt get my $ back. I also had to modify the bracket as the headders hit brace (not sure that I really need the brace as the old 727 didnt have it and was pushing 450 hp on it). I did call TTI and they said that there shouldnt be a clearance issue. Does the 70 Cuda have the spool type TTI motor mounts? I am wondering if the 72 and earlier B bodys had something different on the K memeber. What is the distance from the center of the crank to the top of the K member. TTI said that it is suposed to be 5 3/8 but mine is more like 5 5/8. also the slot in the motor bracket on the k memeber on the drivers side is not cut as deep as the one on the passenger side. Can you confirm if the slots are the same on your car or is the drivers side different? mine is noticable by eye without putting a measuring tape on it. Also I have a clearance issue on the stering coum adapter to the steering box and another 1/4 inch down on the drivers side would help. I think I may exstend the slot to help with this. I measued the offset in the car and per TTI it has 2.5" offset to the pasenger side so I know that part is ok. I am wondering if the TTI mounts have moved the motor back in the car and that is the reason for the clearance issues?? I will call TTI today to discuss what I found. I wish I had gone with the Charlies pan!!! I like the look of the Milodon pan and that is the only reason I went with it. I have used Milodon for years and like there stuff so I went with what I have used in the past. Thanks for the corispondance. If you would like to talk feel free to give me a call 757-871-1673
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

My Cuda has the biscuit type mounts, not the spool mounts. The TTI mounts should set the 5.7 in the same place as the original engine as far as front to back and side to side. I would guess that you could probably check the front to rear location by checking the driveshaft yoke to see if it is sitting at about the same depth in the transmission tailhousing as it was originally.
pblake

Post by pblake »

just got done installing a quick ratio pitman arm and iddler arm and clearance is good. I think the whole issue here is the oilpan being designed arround the pre 73 B body. they all say it will work with a B body but not a 73 and later B body. that is my theory. Now I have quick ratio sterring and no clearance issues. the kit came with a 72 idler arm that is longer than the 73 so really that solved the problem but went ahead and got the Quick ratio to ensure correct steering angles.
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

Glad you got it sorted out. You will probably like the quick ratio steering a lot more anyway. :D