Can't Burn Out!

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

hemifever

Post by hemifever »

I could only spin my Off Road 17's about 3 ft prior to the converter install. After the converter, in 50 degree weather I spun here from a dead stop. Took off from a 600rpm idle. I feathered the gas pedal to hold about 5500 rpms and then let out out of it myself. Spun 32ft. I have the max stator ratio that they offer. This picture was also taken 3 days after I did it (which is why the minivan is at the end of the marks)

1971 Plymouth Cuda - 451 stroker
2003 QC 4x4 Dodge Hemi - STS Turbo, KRC 6005 heads & rods, Ross pistons, 6.1L crank & cam, ARP main/head studs, JBA headers, SMT6, APS converter: 575rwtq/492rwhp @ 9psi
2005 Chrysler 300c
DodgeHemi1500

Re: Can't Burn Out!

Post by DodgeHemi1500 »

Anonymous wrote:A little bit bummed to say the least. Although my new truck is fun to drive, for the life of me, I can't get the wheels to spin in order to do a bit of showboating! Tried it several times on an open road from a dead stop; tried powerbraking, slow roll, etc... but nothing. Do I have a real weak HEMI or what? Sigh! Any help is appreciate.
well mine is too then, i am also disappointed with the hemi performance,it's not at all what they bragged it up to be.
Gary
m15fwtnc

Post by m15fwtnc »

I'm so mildly amused at all the people that post about doing 30ft burnouts. Please. Your right foot does not control the power to the rear wheels. A computer does. I don't care what you try to feed us, when you stomp on the go pedal you are doing nothing more than sending an electronic signal. There is no cable connecting the skinny pedal to the TB. A computer program is in charge at all times. That is life and that is reality. Sheesh.
hemifever

Post by hemifever »

m15fwtnc wrote:I'm so mildly amused at all the people that post about doing 30ft burnouts. Please. Your right foot does not control the power to the rear wheels. A computer does. I don't care what you try to feed us, when you stomp on the go pedal you are doing nothing more than sending an electronic signal. There is no cable connecting the skinny pedal to the TB. A computer program is in charge at all times. That is life and that is reality. Sheesh.
If you're directing that towards me, what does it have to do with my installing a performance torque converter with a 2.5 stator ratio providing 70lbs more tq at the wheels from a take off? Regardless of the fly by wire technology, a torque converter provides tq multiplication. Does it matter if the throttle is computer controlled or cable connected? No. My burnout is from a performance transmission and disabling torque management, not from being a stock truck and that outweighs any fly by wire throttle concerns.

Besides, how does your right foot not control power to the rear wheels? Are we just THINKING we want to move forward and that happens? Pressing the pedal provides resistance values. As the resistance value changes, the pcm regulates the throttle accordingly. I don't see how your right foot can't be in the equation. Sure, there is no cable attached to the TB, but the throttle position shows what DC thinks is an equivalent ratio for calculating throttlebody opening. Again, I'm still unclear where your information has much to do with my burnouts after a converter install regardless of how the gas pedal controls the throttlebody.
2003 QC 4x4 Dodge Hemi - STS Turbo, KRC 6005 heads & rods, Ross pistons, 6.1L crank & cam, ARP main/head studs, JBA headers, SMT6, APS converter: 575rwtq/492rwhp @ 9psi
2005 Chrysler 300c
m15fwtnc

Post by m15fwtnc »

hemifever, let me take a moment to apolgize to you about my previous post. I should have read about what you have done to your truck before I spouted off. I know that with my '04 RC I couldn't burn 3 inches let alone 30 feet. Nobody I know is able to roast em either. Not 3 feet and certainly not 30. Again, my apology for my smart azz remark. Keep up the good work.
5SpeedHemi

Post by 5SpeedHemi »

Does that void your tranny warranty ? just wondering
03/ Silver 2500 QC/LB 4X4 Hemi 5 Speed Manual shift
hemifever

Post by hemifever »

m15, no problem. Mine wouldn't even chirp the tires when I got it. I disabled tq management and got a whopping 2 or 3 ft tire spin. And that was leaving a LIGHT black mark. Then I installed the APS converter and wow, total destruction. The converter is a stealth model. Meaning the factory casing is used so it is 100% undetectable from a dealer standpoint. Yes, it would void a trans warranty. But again, it's stealth. It's got a metal 2.5 stator ratio vs. the factory plastic 1.9 ratio stator. It's also fully rollerized so it's ready for nitrous or a super charger if I ever went that route. APS has 10 different stator ratios depending on the truck and what you do with it. I have the max ratio which enables the extreme tire spin. It cost $450, if it came down to warranty work on a new trans I'd just have to keep quiet and let the converter be replaced if they replaced it. Much rather lose $450 than have to buy a new trans.

Is it a worthwhile mod? Yes...if you race. If you're a street driver then go with some headers. Once I'm already in motion doing 40mph or more and I punch it, I haven't seen any differences in performance. But off the line, it hums a new tune.
2005 Chrysler 300c
5SpeedHemi

Converter

Post by 5SpeedHemi »

hemifever
Sounds like a very worthwhile mod for some. I was just inquiring because my freind here wanted to know what mods he can do to his 1500 Hemi auto. Mine is a 5 speed manual stick so burnouts are not a problem for me. I have the link to APS website and they do sound very professional. he is checking into getting one for his. Thanks for the info glad to see a mod that works on these Hemi's. Oh one last thing your mods to date show's a "Air Ram" is that a ram air system or just a brand name of cold air intake
hemifever

Post by hemifever »

It's an air intake. www.airram.com and I have jba headers from www.krcperformance.com

I dyno'd and track tested the air ram intake against the 'short tubed' style intakes of another brand. The air ram did better at the track and on the dyno. Not saying it will perform that way on every truck so go buy one, but it did perform the best on mine.
2005 Chrysler 300c
5SpeedHemi

Post by 5SpeedHemi »

Who says we cant burn out you guys babying those Rams !!

This burn out movie is with a box stock Ram 2500 Hemi 4X4 QC-LB only engine modis a K&N drop in filter

http://homepage.mac.com/scousins/Ram_He ... ter13.html
metalslayer

Post by metalslayer »

I can spin em w/ the anti-slip rear
04 QC 4x4 HEMI 17's 3.55
hemifever

Post by hemifever »

Without brake tqing, I used to could only spin them for about 3 to 5 feet from a standstill. After this APS converter, I've gone over 60ft with both wheels. Nice deep black marks. All w/o a brake tq. And will do that from a slight roll too. I haven't gotten it to spin em up into 3rd yet, but the rpms hold right about 5200 in 2nd gear. My stall is 2500rpms with this converter too. Well, I can sit still and rev it to 2500 w/o breaking the tires loose. When moving, it flashes to about 2800 before it "catches".
2005 Chrysler 300c
cballard03

Post by cballard03 »

[quote="m15fwtnc"]hemifever, let me take a moment to apolgize to you about my previous post. I should have read about what you have done to your truck before I spouted off. I know that with my '04 RC I couldn't burn 3 inches let alone 30 feet. Nobody I know is able to roast em either. Not 3 feet and certainly not 30. Again, my apology for my smart azz remark. Keep up the good work.[/quote]

I've had my 04 about 7 months and I figured out that if you put the truck in low gear instead of Drive it will burn the tires for as long as you hold the throttle down and if you shift it to 2nd it when you get to redline it will continue to spin them up to about halfway thru second gear. This is without using the brake or any other method, just come to stop drop it into low and stand on it. Makes lots of smoke.
2004 RAM 1500 Reg/Cab HEMI 2WD
GreenbeanZ28

Post by GreenbeanZ28 »

Half the time mine will just push the front tires. I can have it floored, jump off the brake and then back on....only then will it powerbrake. Then it'll only spin 5 feet maybe out of it. Oh well, not like between the truck payment and my Camaro can I really afford to be burning off 20 inch tires. :-?
Russ
'96 Z28 M6-Stock rear springs and shocks
11.41@119 423/375 rwhp/rwtq
'04 Ram 1500 SLT 2WD
Mac CAI, Flowmaster Side exit exhaust.
MG42pillbox

Post by MG42pillbox »

I drive dozens of Hemi Rams every week,... I have never had a problem lighting the tires.
One whose life is Infecting others with Falsehood, shall fall greater than any of their Victims.