Synthetic Oil

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

NewDodgeGuy

Synthetic Oil

Post by NewDodgeGuy »

I was thinking of running synthetic oil in my Hemi. Any comments or recommendations? How many mles should the motor have before using synthetic oil? Is there an advantage to using synthetic? How long between oil changes?

Love my Hemi!!!!

Thanks
REALM

Post by REALM »

Don't know about the Hemi imparticular, but I love synthetic. Stays a lot cleaner in my experience.

I switched to synthetic in mine at about 6000 miles or so. In a nutshell, synthetic doesn't break down as easy as dino-saur oil & will make your parts last longer.

Just my .02, although you'll find a lot of dino lovers who disagree.
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4x4
315/70/17 BFG AT's
4.56 gears with LSD
giddie

Post by giddie »

Realm, I suppose you haven't had any problems with oil leaks running the synthetic? I'm thinking of moving to synthetics as well but have had an experience where the synthetics caused minor leaks. This was on a car with about 30000 miles on the odometer. What brand are you using and did you notice any difference in performance?
Jason O'Brien
2003 Black Quad-Cab 1500 Hemi*
http://www.giddie.com
REALM

Post by REALM »

giddie wrote:Realm, I suppose you haven't had any problems with oil leaks running the synthetic? I'm thinking of moving to synthetics as well but have had an experience where the synthetics caused minor leaks. This was on a car with about 30000 miles on the odometer. What brand are you using and did you notice any difference in performance?
I'm using Mobil 1 10w-30 full synthetic. Haven't had a problem at all with leaks. My truck has 9000 miles on it now though.

I've heard that synthetics may cause leaks in higher mileage engines because the synthetic breaks up the built up nasty dino oil inside which may have been plugging the leaks, so it doesn't really cause leaks, it just cleans up your engine to where the leaks that are already there open up. Which is a bad thing I admit, but it's also good depending on how you look at it.

This is why I try to switch to synthetic oils in my engines early on after break-in. 30K miles however I wouldn't think of as high mileage.

Either way, I highly recommend switching to synthetic, makes engine last longer, runs a little cooler, and if you happen to go over the 3K mile limit, you don't have to worry as much as you would with dyno oil.

I'm using an Amsoil SDF-15 oil filter as well, which also fits the 5.9L.
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4x4
315/70/17 BFG AT's
4.56 gears with LSD
Hemidakota

Post by Hemidakota »

Running Mobil 1 since 1500 miles (24K miles).
Steve
Future Purchase: 2006 Charger SRT-8/2006 MegaCab 6.1 Hemi
"Coming soon 600HP SRT-10 to pull the SRT-4 & SRT-8 Charger to the track!"
HappyKillMore

Post by HappyKillMore »

In the '97 Camaro Z28 I traded in on my Ram, I only ever put in Mobil 1 10W-30. While I was starting to have things break on the car (how about $1000 to replace the water pump and the wiper motor?) I never once had an engine problem. Yes, I did develop an oil leak (after 100k miles), and for that I replaced the front seal. No more oil leak. (That was $75 of the $1000-- since they had the water pump off already.)

I have an uncle in Ohio who drag races a '79 Pontiac station wagon. He tells me things like not having to rebuild the motor even after 800+ passes down the strip, and he uses only Mobil 1. He also drives that car on the street.

I swapped my factory oil out at about 800 miles for Mobil 1, and intend to keep putting the synthetic stuff in. It's kinda pricey to buy 7 quarts of that stuff instead of the dino oil, but probably worth it in the long run. Unfortunately, I drive about 1600 miles a month, so I'll have to buy it 6 times a year!
Hemidakota

Post by Hemidakota »

On the SRT car, I run Amsoil 2000 series 0-30W with a K&N Oil Filter.
Steve
HAmmer

Post by HAmmer »

I was wondering the same thing i use amsoil in my other vehicles and have no trouble at all. how many miles should i put on my hemi before i go to synthetic? the owners manual really dosent say. i currently only have 110 miles on my truck
1992Dakota

Synthetic Oil/Hemi

Post by 1992Dakota »

I use Mobil-1 10W-30 fully Synthetic oil in my 1992 Dodge Dakota 4X4 with the 5.2L 318 V8. I have had no problems with it. I love it!
Also, does anyone know ehre I can buy a new 5.7L Hemi engine. How about a new supercharged 5.7 Hemi?
Hemidakota

Post by Hemidakota »

I ran the truck for 1500 miles to ensure proper breakin before switching oils.

No superchargers as currently. Scott posted some folks working on getting the MAP down since DCx has not given the inner workings of the ECU to any aftermarket company.
Steve