New Hemi Learning Curve

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

giddie

New Hemi Learning Curve

Post by giddie »

I purchased a new truck last week and its been a joy to drive, especially so, considering my previous car was a Ford Focus. With the new truck come some minor disappointments but these are far over shadowed by the overall package.

For instance, I was a little disappointed that I wasn't able to turn the tires into balls of white smoke. I know it’s rather juvenile but hey it’s a HEMI! Besides I just watched a Hemi commercial tonight depicting such a spectacle. So I've read that power is reduced by 20% below a certain speed, is this correct? I suppose its really for the best because I'd probably be doing it all the time and wasting too many green backs replacing the Goodyears.

Another quirk I have with the truck is the design of the stereo deck. The sound of my Infinity system is awesome but the controls are horrible. The faceplate seems to have too many buttons crammed together and I've yet to memorize them all by feel. The treble & bass controls are ridiculous! The sliders are hard to maneuver accurately and it seems to be a pure game of chance if you will slide one or two positions up or down the track. Why couldn't Dodge simply combine the Bass, Treble, Balance & Fade into a single dial where a menu button would simply cycle through the options? The steering wheel controls are nice but too limited in their functionality. Why can I only skip songs on a CD and not seek using the steering wheel? Anyway, I guess I'll eventually learn the radio's layout and all will be second nature.

That's all I've got to rant about for the time being. I've plenty of good things to say but I'd like to put these out there and perhaps the locals will be able to provide insight or tricks of the game to make the transition smoother.
Jason O'Brien
2003 Black Quad-Cab 1500 Hemi*
http://www.giddie.com
kbuicker

Post by kbuicker »

Hey Jason, welcome to the club! Howz it in San Anton? Good here in Dallas.

I opted not to get the upgraded stereo after I heard the stock stereo.. it sounds great, and it doesn't have the little EQ, but a nice knob for bass and another for treble... that doesn't help you much I know.. but it sure makes me feel better :)

Anyway.. the tire smoking is an issue that has hopped around this forum frequently... I smoked mine when I got the truck due to peer pressure, but had to do a power brake to get it started...left a pile of rubber, and a lot of smoke, but in turn, it warped my front rotors... not recommended.. but Dodge will replace them for you no charge.... they claim the rotors are too thin for the 20s. We believe the computer unit keeps us from doing the smokey burnout, but as you and I saw last night, the new commercial shows both black trucks smoking off the line.. so what gives.. maybe they know something we don't?
Kevin
mnc2886

Post by mnc2886 »

Those commercials are hollywood effects, trust me. My 5.9 wouldn't burn out for awhile either, but the computer will change according to the way you drive, and if you have a led foot, give it time and it will peel for a good bit. It took mine almost a year before I could squeek.
giddie

Post by giddie »

Kevin thanks for rubbing it in about the stereo. Are you using the deck for the six disc changer?

jason
Jason O'Brien
kbuicker

Post by kbuicker »

:D Sorry, couldn't resist.

No, I only have a lonely single CD..so nothing has been added to it, probably won' mess with it. Was thinking after performance mods may add MP3 player.
Kevin
Hemidakota

Post by Hemidakota »

Get either a 5-speed/6-speed manual transmission or LINE LOCK for the auto.

I have a 5-speed and do it all the time.
Steve
Future Purchase: 2006 Charger SRT-8/2006 MegaCab 6.1 Hemi
"Coming soon 600HP SRT-10 to pull the SRT-4 & SRT-8 Charger to the track!"
HAmmer

Post by HAmmer »

Last edited by HAmmer on Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5SpeedHemi

Post by 5SpeedHemi »

Vey nice pics although I pity the people who have dial up you should repost some smaller files they are quite heavy for the net in general
03/ Silver 2500 QC/LB 4X4 Hemi 5 Speed Manual shift
giddie

Post by giddie »

Very nice truck HAmmer. Where did you get the solid black running boards?

Another lesson on the learning curve, just learned it today, is that "Chrome Clad 20" Wheels" means that the wheel is covered in a chromed piece of plastic! I couldn't tell it was plastic until I was cleaning them. Does anyone know if the plastic comes off easily? If they do come off, do you think they could be powder-coated cheaper than having an entire wheel done?
Jason O'Brien
HAmmer

Post by HAmmer »

giddie wrote:Very nice truck HAmmer. Where did you get the solid black running boards?
the running boards came with the convertion package along with a bunch of other things, But i think they are made by xenon
ill ask my dealer and get back to you. i know the truck went to elkhart ind to have the work done and then was shipped to my dealer.
thunderoad

Post by thunderoad »

Learning curve huh? Not with those 20" tires, what an expensive curve!

Got one of the last Thunder Roads off the lot! (and what a steal) Man its purty... Its like moving into a new house inside that thing. But the damned dealer wrecked my hood (few real nice scratches) after their "courtesy check", bastards! Been without her for a week :cry:

Anyhow, just thought I would stop in say hello and ask everyone's favorite aftermarket! I'm a Hp/fuel economy fiend (contradiction?) and cant wait to rip the exhaust and intake out and replace it. Im thinking the Volant CAI w/K&N, Elite headers w/dual cats, and super single 4" SS exhaust (to match the current ground effects molding). Any thoughts? :P
HAmmer

Post by HAmmer »

Giddie this is the company that did my conversion package
http://www.elkautomotive.com/profile.html