Chevy SS= 0, Hemi=1

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

kbuicker

Chevy SS= 0, Hemi=1

Post by kbuicker »

Well, I WAS curious, now, not so. I just had a run in with a new black $50k Chevrolet SS truck. We both hit it at the light from a rolling start, all I can say is he overpaid! We were identically matched, until my truck shifted which gave me a lurch ahead and then he gave up :) woo hoo!

(this is pre NOS too!)
Kevin
scottm

Post by scottm »

You have your TMR wired pulled, right?

I believe the SS should pull away from a QC,
but with the TMR wire pulled, I betcha it gives
the QC enough back to overtake Chevy's SS.

Nice to see a Hemi earn a street victory! :)
kbuicker

Post by kbuicker »

I do. Without embellishing, We were 100% identical off the line.. but right when I shifted, the Hemi jumped ahead, he saw that and gave up at that moment.
Kevin
HEMI707

SS-0, HEMI-2

Post by HEMI707 »

I HAVE A HEMI SINGLE CAB SHORT BED, AND HAD THE CHANCE OF TAKING OUT 2 OF THESE SUPPOSED SS :D , BOTH TIMES ON THE FREEWAY AND BOTH TIMES IT GOT SMOKED. BOTH OWNERS SEEMED UPSET AFTERWARDS. GO HEMI!!!!
chevy38fan

Post by chevy38fan »

uhh 50 thousand for an SS? damn when'd they get THAT expensive? they're only 40 sticker,and usually go for around 33 or so...
Zack
2003 RC SWB Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi
14.936 @ 90.07 MPH
kbuicker

Post by kbuicker »

I was being generous :), I only know from the first SS I saw in a dealership months and months ago, 'twas $60k, but it had a $10 market demand markup on it.. ridiculous huh!

They are NOT getting good reviews, so the price is probably dropping quick!
Kevin
chevy38fan

Post by chevy38fan »

well after people started finding out that a rc hemi is faster than the ss stock to stock, they started to realize magazines play number games... some guy was only turning 15.6's with his SS.. i turned a 15.1 in my hemi.. i'm wondering how some of these mags came close to 14.9?? maybe they times were mis matched?
Zack
2003 RC SWB Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi
14.936 @ 90.07 MPH
m15fwtnc

Post by m15fwtnc »

http://forums.pickuptruck.com/showflat. ... o=&fpart=1

Yeah check this thread and see all the grief I got when simply exposing the fact that the SS will not run with the hemi R/C. Fair you say? Well all the mags (you know the ones that depend on all the aftermarket advertising dollars from the guys selling chit for chevys to stay in business) claim that the SS, that weighs 400lbs more that my truck and has a whopping 5ft. lbs more torque, will beat my butt. Well I own an '04 and shucks maybe the factory has tweaked things just a bit from the '03 model!?? I don't know about the QC vs the SS but there is no f ing way it beats the R/C. My neighbor that owns the SS is a good guy and I told him for about $5-6 K more he would have one bad butt rig. His response was "for $41,000 I should have a bad butt rig!" Well for $23,308 I am real happy with my purchase. loosebolt
kbuicker

Post by kbuicker »

feel free to copy and paste my post onto that forum, it should be enough to prove your point.
Kevin
cballard03

Post by cballard03 »

I just raced a Mustang GT from a stop light and even though I think he would have taken me had I not backed off at about 85 mph, he never got past my passenger door until I backed off. I've only had my HEMI for a couple of months but I get more impressed with it everyday.
2004 RAM 1500 Reg/Cab HEMI 2WD
m15fwtnc

Post by m15fwtnc »

cballard03 wrote:I just raced a Mustang GT from a stop light and even though I think he would have taken me had I not backed off at about 85 mph, he never got past my passenger door until I backed off. I've only had my HEMI for a couple of months but I get more impressed with it everyday.
Ya see...I'm telling you people there is something up with the "04s....I don't know about the '03 R/C but my "04 is a quick lil rig.
Hemidakota

Post by Hemidakota »

Nice to hear it.....we don't have that many around in the local neighborhood.

Don't worry about the flack, it comes with the terrority of ownership of the best truck in town.
Steve
Future Purchase: 2006 Charger SRT-8/2006 MegaCab 6.1 Hemi
"Coming soon 600HP SRT-10 to pull the SRT-4 & SRT-8 Charger to the track!"
HEMI707

HEMI 1, SS O

Post by HEMI707 »

THIS SAT. I FINALLY GOT AN SS AT A RED LIGHT, AND BOY THAT SUCKER WAS CRYING AFTER WARD. I TOOK IM BY A WHOLE CAR LENGTH BY 2ND GEAR. I HAVE AN 03 HEMI RC ST, W/ AEM BRUTE FORCE, STAGE II JET, V-FORCE EXHAUST AND TMR MOD. BOY NEVER STOOD A CHANCE! SAME GOES FOR ABOUT 7 OR MORE MUSTANG GT'S AND ABOUT 3 CAMAROS IN MY TOWN, THEY HAVE ALL SUFFERED THE SAME FATE AS THAT SS.
Ritterkreuz

Post by Ritterkreuz »

m15fwtnc wrote:Ya see...I'm telling you people there is something up with the "04s....I don't know about the '03 R/C but my "04 is a quick lil rig.

Glad now I got an '04. Here Mustang Mustang Mustang. I got a little suprise for you.

Actually one of my friends plans on buying an '05 Mustang when they come out.
NASCAR Nextel Cup, the Greatest Sport Ever.
2004 Ram 4x4 1500 Quad Cab
5.7L Hemi, Sport Appearance package
mopar muscle 21

Post by mopar muscle 21 »

Im very pleased with the performance of my truck. One night I got beside a lighting at a light. I figured that he would pass my like I hit the brakes. We took off and at first we were dead even....till about 55 he pulled on me....but just barley :wink: I talked to this guy afterwards and he said that it was modded, but he wouldnt tell me what.
03 Hemi
MAC cai, Jet stage 2 chip
kbuicker

Post by kbuicker »

I was wondering how we would fare against a SC Lightning... once they get the air flowing they're hard to beat.. good to know we can hang for a while.. in fact, just long enough to prove a point, and pull over and have a civil conversation about the trucks, that's what it's all about fellas... nice work.
Kevin
Fastfoursix

Post by Fastfoursix »

I actually own a Mustang and the QC hemi, the mustang feels light on its feet and quick but i know the hemi packs the punch with all that TQ, i think i need a lil race between my own cars....... :evil:
Mike's 331

Post by Mike's 331 »

Hi all. Was the Lightning the supercharged version or the older n/a model?Last fall I was at test and tune at www.redriverraceway.net and talked with a guy that had picked his up on Tue. and was trying it out that Fri. night.He was disappointed that it was only running 13.60's ,2 tenths faster than my LT-1 Formula that same night! I bet the 5000lb AWD SS tugboat is going slower than a SWB 5.3.Most of the Chevy SWB 5.3's with catback and programmer and tires run 14.90's -15.10's.I've driven a few Hemi's but they were all 3/4 tons and did nothing spectacular with that huge weight but the motors really sound strong in neutral.If only that motor could make it into something under 3400lbs then it would shine.
HemiMack

Post by HemiMack »

Just this afternoon, I took on a newer Acura CL v6 that had a carbon fiber hood and was fart-piped to hell. I jogged past him and he couldn't catch me so I slowed down once I hit 85mph. When he caught up at the next stop light, he looked more than upset. Mine is bone-stock '04. I don't race it much, only stoplights on weekends right now, and I haven't lost yet. I am very impressed with the stock performance, but once the Kenne Bell supercharger is released I'll be hitting the drag strip.
TheRedneckWay

Post by TheRedneckWay »

does anyone know which chevy engine is used in the SS? Is it the 5.3L? 6.0L? 8.1L? what do they use in that SSR? (i think thats the name of it, the one that looks like a truck from the 50s)
TheRedneckWay

Post by TheRedneckWay »

my big heavy 4wd won't ,but I have personally seen a 2wd HEMI outrun a Chevy dually with that big block 8.1L just thought i would share
Asa

Post by Asa »

the chevy ss uses the 6.0 (345 hp and 380 lb tq) and the ss r uses a 300 hp version of the 5.3
TheRedneckWay

Post by TheRedneckWay »

chevys dont impress me very much......maybe except the C6 vette
Goose

Post by Goose »

New member here tryin to catch up :-?

I've sold for Dodge for 2 years now and have casually raced 3 of my fellow sales consultants (<--classy huh?) who have 03 QC Hemis.
I consistently beat them by a fender on a stretch that's about a 8th mile.
They have the slightly lower profile Eagle tires too. They also have identical mods to mine save the one has flowmasters. We all agree, for some reason the 04 is slightly stronger.
'02' Ram quad.....oops!
I just traded for an
'04' 1500 Hemi quad.
Atlantic Blue, MagnaFlow cat back dual side exits, Airraid CAI, 3.92 anti spin, Chrome 20s (more to come)
kbuicker

Post by kbuicker »

I actually had some jerk email me at WORK and tell me (in not so nice words) that I was crazy if I thought Hemi would beat an SS... maybe he was drunk?
Kevin