Hemi 5.7 hp, 345hp or 330hp

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

cdm975

Hemi 5.7 hp, 345hp or 330hp

Post by cdm975 »

Maybe some one can clear me up on this! I have heard that the ram 1500 is only putting out 330hp not the 345 hp that is advertised.
And have been told the reason is the 1500 has to comply to tighter emission laws then the 2500, so they have the 345hp. A dealer told me that the only difference is the cayltic converter is moved a head closer to the motor and this robs 15 ponies and meets emissions. Any truth to this hemi owners? Sounds like an easy ways to gain 15 ponies or get rid of the converter all together.

Altantic Blue 2500 ram 4x4 hemi, Quad cab owner
dodgedifferent2

Post by dodgedifferent2 »

the 345 HP is rated at the flywheel and the 330 is at the rear wheels.....so they say.....i have also heard it is less on extended cab version and that would be down in the 325 range
MG42pillbox

Post by MG42pillbox »

And why is the reason the 1 ton Hemis are rated at 330hp?
One whose life is Infecting others with Falsehood, shall fall greater than any of their Victims.
dodgedifferent2

that would be at the rear wheels also...there is not anything different in the drive train...its all springs and shocks and fender flare and the cosmetic needs for a 1 ton....yes they do have 2 extra tires but other than that there is not much difference
dodgedifferent2

the catalatic converter may be a reason as well but i believe the emmission laws are equal for all vehicles....but i might be wrong i do not know emission laws too well
MG42pillbox

Post by MG42pillbox »

Thats incorrect the actual Rear wheel estimate would be anywhere from 280 to 275 on a 1 ton. nowhere near 330 and above. The Half tons are only getting about 290 let alone the HDs. Dodge HP is rated at flywheel.
One whose life is Infecting others with Falsehood, shall fall greater than any of their Victims.
Cactus Cowboy

Post by Cactus Cowboy »

I sell Dodge trucks. It's not unusual to see different HP ratings from one model to the next equipped with the same engine. It's my understanding that the engines are tuned slightly differently according to need.

Dave Rose
Powell, Wyoming
MG42pillbox

Post by MG42pillbox »

Cactus Cowboy wrote:I sell Dodge trucks. It's not unusual to see different HP ratings from one model to the next equipped with the same engine. It's my understanding that the engines are tuned slightly differently according to need.

Dave Rose
Powell, Wyoming
Yes, Im guessing less compression for the 1 tons, but I might be wrong. I kow its listed the same, but nowadays what does that mean.