BRAKE ROTOR RECALL

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

fast5800pdhemi

BRAKE ROTOR RECALL

Post by fast5800pdhemi »

Hello fellow hemi owners or dodge truck owners. I have a dilema i own a 2003 1/2ton quad cab hemi w/4wheel antilock disc brakes I noticed on here that some of you were complaining about your truck shaking when you apply the brakes caused by rotor warp. I have the same problem but to get to the point i have over 12000 miles on my truck (260000 to be exact and i called my dealer to have my rotors fixed and i found out that the warrenty that says bumper to bumper means bumper to bumper, except brakes( rotors,calipers, pads, etc) so i found a way hopefully to still make dodge replace my rotors. This is were you guys come in, anyone haveing this problem needs to call Motor Vehicle and file a complaint like i did. The number is 1-800-424-9393. If we get enough complaints this problem could turn into a recall, therefore replacing all trucks with bad rotors or whatever the problem may be! thanks for your time.
leadfoot

Post by leadfoot »

I took my truck in today for the rotor problem . They had to order the pads and calipers and said they would turn the rotors. He did tell me there was a bulletin in regards to the matter .
Ritterkreuz

Post by Ritterkreuz »

The problem you have described is the exact same problem I had on my 92 Chevy Lumina. So far no such trouble with the Ram, but it only has 526 miles on it right now.
NASCAR Nextel Cup, the Greatest Sport Ever.
2004 Ram 4x4 1500 Quad Cab
5.7L Hemi, Sport Appearance package
5SpeedHemi

" i have over 12000 miles on my truck (260000 to be exa

Post by 5SpeedHemi »

" i have over 12000 miles on my truck (260000 to be exa

Man your not drivin like you stole it... you did steal it lol yuk yuk, sorry slow news day . Thats gota be a typo right. No brake probs here 25000 miles on this one could be that its a standard shift thoughjavascript:emoticon(':D')
03/ Silver 2500 QC/LB 4X4 Hemi 5 Speed Manual shift
giddie

Have the same problem

Post by giddie »

My wife took our truck to a dealership in Midland, TX with a shade under 12k on the odometer (after I read in this forum of the 12k limit on brakes). The service rep said this was a very common problem, ordered the parts, and told her when to bring the truck back to have the repairs. He stated that the mileage wasn't an issue and that they would have serviced the brakes under warranty even if the truck had more than 12k. A service rep, the ridiculous TSB about putting wheels back on our trucks, and the posts located on this forum and others tells me this isn't an isolated occurrence.

I think calling the number is a great idea. If the part is not re-engineered it'll make for many expensive brake-jobs during the life of our trucks.
Jason O'Brien
2003 Black Quad-Cab 1500 Hemi*
http://www.giddie.com
fast5800pdhemi

Post by fast5800pdhemi »

Hey everyone more news on the problem with the brakes. I got a replie in the mail from Motor Vehicle stating the problem i was having and also said that they have seen this problem on carmax.com and that they were looking into it being very dangerous! thanks guys!
bswink

Brakes

Post by bswink »

I have a '03 1500 Hemi Ram with 20 inch wheels and I started experiencing braking problems after about 2000 miles.The symptoms were when braking it would pull hard to the right,shimmy and when I took my hands off the steering wheel,the steering wheel would rotate right and left(back and forth).I also noticed the the steering wheel is not level when sighting with the instrument panel.That was the start,I now have 13,000 miles and 3 sets of rotors,one set of calipers,one set of brake pads and even new brake lines have been installed and I'm calling for an appointment this morning for the forth(4) set of rotors to be installed.Although it's over 12000 miles,the dealer said since I've had the on going problem they will take care of it under the warranty,which they should do! I always wonder if the 20" wheels have anything to do with the rotor problem.
HappyKillMore

Post by HappyKillMore »

The problem isn't 20" wheels, the problem is rotors that are too weak to handle 20" wheels. I could understand it if we all had aftermarket 20" wheels attached to a brake system that wasn't designed for them, but that's not the case. These rotors were simply a bad choice on DC's part.

Bswink, if your dealership doesn't follow the DC procedure for putting the wheels back on, you're going to continue warping rotors, as far as I can tell. Look for my posting in the thread called "brakes" and you can read the TSB for yourself to see what I'm talking about.
fast5800pdhemi

Post by fast5800pdhemi »

Anyone that wants to help your fellow hemi owners that are over 12000 miles please give Motor Vehicle out of Washington DC and we can turn this problem into a recall!!
kbuicker

Post by kbuicker »

It may have worked Look for my post on how dodge replaced my brakes, rotors and all!
Kevin
kbuicker

Post by kbuicker »

It may have worked Look for my post on how dodge replaced my brakes, rotors and all!

viewtopic.php?t=730
Kevin
TangoHemi

Post by TangoHemi »

Guys, I just had all of my front brakes replaced due to "warpage". Rotors, Calipers, discs, lines, etc. I was starting to get a shimmy when I applied the brakes. The dealer was very helpful. When I was in for my 9000 mile check-up, I told them about the info on this website, took in a copy of these pages, and viola', new everything, no charge! Way to go Hemi.com!! :P

The dealer informed me that Dodge is aware of the torque issue with the 20" wheels (via TSB), but leaves it up to the individual dealers to handle it. :roll: My guys replaced everything (good dudes), but the TSB says just resurface and new pads. They hope that you, the customer, will be happy and they will save the price of new brake system per RAM.

Bottom line, if you have 20" wheels and pulsing of your brakes, take it in immediately! Tell them about the TSB, then get your sh-t fixed... 8)

Good luck.
'03 Ram 1500 QC "Thunderroad"
H-60 Special Ops / Rescue Pilot

http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines.com ... 332&pos=13
GreenbeanZ28

Post by GreenbeanZ28 »

Mine have started to get warped and I just turned 11,700 miles. I'll be dropping it off at the dealer soon.
Russ
'96 Z28 M6-Stock rear springs and shocks
11.41@119 423/375 rwhp/rwtq
'04 Ram 1500 SLT 2WD
Mac CAI, Flowmaster Side exit exhaust.
TheRedneckWay

Post by TheRedneckWay »

i have to say im impressed with my brakes and rotors. running tires as large as mine usually eats brake and rotors quickly, but mine have lost no braking power at all. Im well pleased with the brake's performance on my truck
MEANGENE75

Post by MEANGENE75 »

for those of you having problems getting diamler chrysler to help, tell them to refer to tsb#05-008-04. it involves installing the upgraded 04 caliper part #s, resurfacing rotors, (or replacement if out of spec), and a specific wheel torque pattern to help balance wheel and rotor position to get the least amout of rotor runout. to clarify, a tsb is a technical service bulletin to help technitions identify common problems and perform a more efficient repair. this repair is limited to the factory warranty coverage, which for brakes is 12,000 miles. should this become a recall, an admission of faulty parts or engineering on diamler chryslers behalf, mileage will not matter. my advice to anyone with this problem and more than 12,000 miles to to ask the service manager to contact thier district service rep for authorization to repair your truck regardless of mileage. knowing our restrictions and asking us for help is much more likely to help you than calling the truck an underengineered piece of junk and demanding satisfaction. i personally try to work with all customers to get their issues resolved. bad press does nothing good for us........gene
04 hemi, sc, sport, red, 3.92 posi, 22" wheels, flowmaster cat back, mopar long tube headers, srt 10 hood, mopar cod air,cold air duct, hypertech, ground force drop, sirius radio, momo sub, tint, 180 thermostat, silverstar lamps, mopar bed cover.
HappyKillMore

Post by HappyKillMore »

Gene, I've read that TSB (and posted a link to it in the thread titled "Brakes") and saw the specific torquing instructions. Are those supposed to apply every time the tires come off and go back on? I'm asking because I'm about due for a tire rotation and if you're supposed to check rotor runout every time, then there's no way that I'll do it myself.

For anyone who's interested, I'll repost the link to the TSB, which I had posted earlier.

http://www.dodgeram.info/tsb/2003/05-008-03.htm
MEANGENE75

Post by MEANGENE75 »

should be done. will it be done? probably not. will it make that much difference. i dont think so. if the rotor is true, and wheels are torqued correctly you shouldnt have any problems.....gene
04 hemi, sc, sport, red, 3.92 posi, 22" wheels, flowmaster cat back, mopar long tube headers, srt 10 hood, mopar cod air,cold air duct, hypertech, ground force drop, sirius radio, momo sub, tint, 180 thermostat, silverstar lamps, mopar bed cover.
HappyKillMore

Post by HappyKillMore »

Thanks Gene. I'll rotate my tires soon and let everyone know if I end up with the old vibration again!
centerline

Post by centerline »

Just made an appointment to take our 03 in for brake vibration for the SECOND time. First time was at 3000 miles when they replaced the front rotors. I think the problem this time might be the rear rotors more than the front as I'm not getting a lot of vibration through the wheel and I doubt they re-torqued the rear wheels when they had it earlier. Current mileage is only 15K.
johnwmt

BRAKE ROTOR RECALL

Post by johnwmt »

ok guys are the problems on both the 04 and the 03 are just one ??????
MEANGENE75

Post by MEANGENE75 »

im not seeing many 04's come in for this problem. however we did a bunch of 03's early int their release. seems like the ones that have the problem keep coming back until calipers are replaced. before the tsb we just kept putting new rotors on them, and they would keep coming back. come to think of it, i dont think weve had any o4's with this issue. i submit all the warranty claims for payment and cant recall doing a o4.......gene
centerline

Post by centerline »

Back from the dealer. Rear rotors were fine as were the front. They replaced the calipers on the front and all is well with the world. The SB said to surface the rotors and replace the calipers but our rotors (the ones they replaced 10,000 miles ago) were still OK. Hopefully these new calipers will solve the problem for good.
rami

Post by rami »

Had mine replaced at 11k and now at 15k vibration is back. Going to call the dealer next week.
2004 QC Sport, 20's, 3:92, Leather, Rhino Spray In Liner, Snugtop Snuglid, Add on XM radio tuner!
giddie

Brakes Fixed... Again.

Post by giddie »

6000 miles after having the front calipers replaced and the rotors resurfaced due to a shimmy while braking, I had to take our truck back in for the warped rotor syndrom. This time I got new callipers and rotors. All is good for now, but we'll see what things are like in another 5-6k. At 18600 miles there were no hassles with getting this brake issue resolved. the service at North Park Dodge in San Antonio was really helpful.
Jason O'Brien
2003 Black Quad-Cab 1500 Hemi*
http://www.giddie.com
rami

Post by rami »

All new pads, rotors, and calipers both front and rear at 11k. Then new front rotors again at 17k. Nice not having my steering wheel jerk all over the place. Hope it lasts.
2004 QC Sport, 20's, 3:92, Leather, Rhino Spray In Liner, Snugtop Snuglid, Add on XM radio tuner!