Hood Scoops

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

glz927

Hood Scoops

Post by glz927 »

Just noticed several 1500 Hemi Rams at my dealership with hoodscoops. Are these functional or just for show? Do you need a new hood or can I add one to my 1500. :roll:
I need gas again?
fast5800pdhemi

Post by fast5800pdhemi »

These scoops are not functional they come on the hemi sport trucks and i was wondering the same thing about if i can get one because they do look bad so i went to my aftermarket store and found the same scoop!
giddie

No sir, I don't like em

Post by giddie »

If these are the same duel snorkel versions I've seen at a dealership here in town then I think they look awful. It just sits in my head that hood scoop should be functional and not look like it was stuck to the hood with double-sided tape.
Jason O'Brien
2003 Black Quad-Cab 1500 Hemi*
http://www.giddie.com
5SpeedHemi

Post by 5SpeedHemi »

Some people like em some diehards do not. I personally would have to see them on to pass judgement . Ive see a few on a couple of trucks that looked pretty good but every application is different .My truck is a work truck so im not in the market for show just go go go. now i just have to get some of it !! superchips come on down
03/ Silver 2500 QC/LB 4X4 Hemi 5 Speed Manual shift
Mazz

Post by Mazz »

I've seen the scoop on the Hemi Sport. It looks tacky in my opinion. From a distance it might not look too bad, but close up, you can easily tell it's a stick-on.
2004 Dodge Ram QC SLT 4x4 Hemi / Flame Red / Sport Package / 3.92s / 4-Wheel ABS / AR Chrome Vanguards w/ 285/60-18 Cooper Zeon XSTs / Bilsteins / Westin Ovals / BedRug / LoRider Lid / Infinity / '03 Hemi Tailpipe w/ Gibson Tip / K&N Drop-In Filter
fast5800pdhemi

Post by fast5800pdhemi »

If you dont like the look of a stick on go with a working ram air hood from apm automotive @ramairhood.com they have a nice fberglass working ram air hood that looks bad and is working from around about 1200 bucks without shipping you can get it and just put it on!
MoparMadness

Post by MoparMadness »

Personally, I dont like the look of the scoop that they put on, what looks best is one of those cowl induction hoops from Reflexxion.
MoparMadness

Post by MoparMadness »

Hoods*
Pvt_Hemi

Functional Steel Cowl Hood

Post by Pvt_Hemi »

I have a Domination Series Steel Cowl Hood by Reflexxion and I think it looks very good. It is fully functional and is operational. If you are looking for a good hood (that rhymed) go to www.reflexxion.com
2004 RAM 1500 REGULAR CAB SLT 4X2 SB
5SpeedHemi

Hood

Post by 5SpeedHemi »

Pvt_Hemi
send me a picture of your truck with that hood on it .The truck on that Reflection site is U_G_L_Y !!... what were they thinking

scousins@mac.com
03/ Silver 2500 QC/LB 4X4 Hemi 5 Speed Manual shift
Pvt_Hemi

I like it...

Post by Pvt_Hemi »

my hood is simple. A single cowl scoop. I don't have a digital camera yet, sorry. The hood is just a basic cowl, on teh site its on this two tone extended cab (orange and silver). Maybe I'm just plain, but i like it...

I'll try toi get a pic asap.
2004 RAM 1500 REGULAR CAB SLT 4X2 SB
HemiMack

Post by HemiMack »

If you look at the SRT-10 scoop, it is technically "functional" in the sense it rams air into the engine compartment. However, that's all it does. It does NOT direct air through any air cleaner nor into the engine. Kind of a waste in my eyes.
Mikes_Hemi

Hood Scoops

Post by Mikes_Hemi »

8) Hello Hemi owners, if anyone is interested I can send you pictures of
my 2003 Ram 4 X 4 Hemi with a Fully Functional Ram Air hood.

The hood looks like the ones they used on the Trans Ams. I removed
the stock air filter and installed a High Flow K&N filter that sticks up pretty
high in the center of the engine. When the hood is closed the Ram Air vents on the hood match up with the K&N filter.

I would post the pictures on this site but I'm new to this site and don't know how. :-?
Mikes_Hemi

Hood Scoops

Post by Mikes_Hemi »

For those who might be interested, I posted pictures of my Truck with the
Fully Functional Ram Air Hood on this site.

http://www.thehemi.com/registry.php

Look under "New Hemi Registry" it's the 2nd Ram 1500 4X4 listed.

2003 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi
Red, 20 inch Chrome Clad,
Infinity Stereo, ARE Lid,
Carpeted Bed Liner (Bedrug)