best intake for the hemi

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

tmaxxnd450es

best intake for the hemi

Post by tmaxxnd450es »

ok i have a 2003 1500 qc hemi adn was wondering what the best after market full intake system for it is, for making power. also i ahve seen the jet chips for it i really dont liek those but are any other manufactures coming out with programmers for the hemi?
Griz

Post by Griz »

Volant is the best cold air intake. Superchips are great programmers and you should be able to get one for an 03 now. My 04 is due to arrive in a couple weeks

call performance combos.com I found them to be the cheapest.

1-800-875-2112
m15fwtnc

Post by m15fwtnc »

Superchips is nowhere near ready to release their programmer. Late May early June if you 03 guys are lucky, us 04 guys will have to wait much longer. I've had my Volant for over 3 months now and there is no difference in power or mpg over stock. But at least it looks better than that stock box. And before ya buy anything from performance combos check with the BBB first, it might change your mind.
tmaxxnd450es

Post by tmaxxnd450es »

BBB? also what about k&n intakes? and are the jet chips good or should i wait?
2003 1500 qc w/ hemi
2003 450es modded
polaris 700 xc sp
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/yelo450es
m15fwtnc

Post by m15fwtnc »

tmaxxnd450es wrote:BBB? also what about k&n intakes? and are the jet chips good or should i wait?
BBB=Better Business Bureau...and to tell you the truth until we get a programmer to recalibrate the pcm, I don't think the extra airflow will make any noticable difference.
HemiTrkn

Air intake

Post by HemiTrkn »

I have the AIRRAM and love it. Saw about 1 to 1.5 mpg increase. Sounds great, easy to install.
Griz

Post by Griz »

TMax,

I seen your pictures so I know you are not ignorant, but did you install the intake properly? Anytime you increase airflow, mileage and power will increase. I checked thr BBB site and searched under their web address and Phone #, I couldnt find anything. And I hope I dont because I just dropped a $grand there. Im not trying to promote them, they were just the cheapest through all my research and I had Volant recommended by a few shops in town. It will be here Thurs and I will let everyone know.
Griz

Post by Griz »

Im sorry that last one was for m15fwtnc. Tmaxx, I still liked your pics.
m15fwtnc

Post by m15fwtnc »

Griz wrote:Im sorry that last one was for m15fwtnc. Tmaxx, I still liked your pics.
I certainly hope that wasn't a backhanded swipe at me griz. The "ignorant" comment. If so I will take this opportunity to educate you. Your first assignment is to research the difference betweeen an IAT sensor and a MAF. (Ummm we have the IAT...your first hint.) In addition I would like for you to spend some time researching the complexities of the pcm that we have on our trucks as there hasn't been one aftermarket company that has cracked and solved this particular beast. Sure, logically and with most makes and models....more air in (and out, don't forget about your exhaust) more power. No brainer. Unfortunately DC has refused to share the code with any aftermarket companies and well here we are. Just to make your research a bit easier check out the kenne bell and superchips sites. People that actually know what they are talking about.
5SpeedHemi

m15fwtnc.

Post by 5SpeedHemi »

I also am in the market for a cold air intake but haven't made up my mind on wich one . I've seen info on other dodge trucks site that tell you to unhook your battery 15-30 minutes during installation and that will erase all previously learned codes and programs that your truck has learned with the stock airbox. only then will the engine accept the new found air sort of speak, then after a couple hundred miles it "should" produce the numbers the CAI manufactures claim here is a link from a guy that installed a AFe CAI not sure if iI like that one but it has dyno results. if it all turnes out to be bull crap I will wait for a superchips tuner and then get the CAI
http://www.hemitruckclub.com/afemark.htm
03/ Silver 2500 QC/LB 4X4 Hemi 5 Speed Manual shift
panic

Post by panic »

Last edited by panic on Sat May 08, 2004 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
5SpeedHemi

Panic

Post by 5SpeedHemi »

Panic so what your saying is a CAI will not increase HP and torque, do you have any info to back that up or are you a mechanic familiar with the Hemi computer, will a cai increase HP with a programmer ?. there is so much conflicting info out there its hard to know what to believe
floridahemi

Post by floridahemi »

will all the talk on cai's, could dodge come back and void your powertrain warranty if you had one on? i could see them saying that the cai doesn't filter enough dirt, even though it could be twice as good as the factory, and then there goes your warranty, or maybe no one is worried about it. any thoughts or ideas? i haven't asked dodge about it, but just wondered if any if ya'll did
m15fwtnc

Post by m15fwtnc »

Griz...go here http://www.bbbsouthland.org type in RV Performance Connection and do a search. You will find that it is the same address and phone number as performancecombos.com They just switched their name because of all the complaints they have had. I have yet to hear anything positive about this company from anyone. Good luck and I hope you get the stuff you ordered.
Griz

Post by Griz »

m15fwtnc,

Thanks! I did receive my Volant intake yesterday and for $290 and 30 min of my time, I noticed some better throttle response and low end and on the highway. I just filled up, again, so we'll see how the mileage goes. I just rolled 2k miles, so of course Im hoping she'll still break in a little more. I just hope to hell that I get my Magnaflow and JBA headers soon, I understand it will be a month or so on the programmer.
panic

Post by panic »

Last edited by panic on Sat May 08, 2004 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
5SpeedHemi

Post by 5SpeedHemi »

No I was just wondering how you get the info about CAI not having any effect. I never said they did do anything. I was just looking to get correct information about if they work before I decide to buy one or not .Thats ok someone out there will answer this post with some helpful info. Some people just want to spout off without explaining themselves or being helpful I thought that's what fourms were for. But hey all is not lost you would make a great riddler on the next Batman movie
m15fwtnc

Post by m15fwtnc »

5Speedhemi, I have had the Volant cai and a FM40 on my truck for about 3 months now. It's an '04 build date of 8-03. I have carefully monitored the gas mileage this entire time. Absolutely no difference. Seat of the pants?? Truth be told I doubt if any of us could actually feel 10 or so more HP with the butt dyno and I haven't noticed any difference power-wise. Please guys I know many of you will say you do and that's cool I'm just being honest with MY scenario. The last week or so (I only put about 3-4000 miles on my personal vehicle in a year) I have noticed what feels like a bit more responsiveness. It's getting close to 3K miles and I keep hearing from guys that between 3-5K miles she starts to open up. We'll see. My advice to you is use the $250 on something else right now until this dammmm pcm gets figured out. Good luck.
5SpeedHemi

Post by 5SpeedHemi »

m15fwtnc thanks I really don't care if it improves milage my foot is near the floor most times anyway. And your right you would probably not feel the hp claims with the butt dyno. Maybe some people get confused thinking the more throaty sound from the engine is more HP like ricers with there fart cans. Does throttle response seem any better and what's your take on people saying you have to unhook the battery after each engine mod for the engine to relearn its power curve properly or something to that effect . And thanks very much for more than a "no it don't work" reply.
m15fwtnc

Post by m15fwtnc »

5Speedhemi, after I installed the volant and the Flowmaster I honestly didn't feel much of improvement in power. After spending $500 or so I would be tempted to say "wow, big low end gains and she really flys now" type stuff but I can't. I'm sure there have been some mild gains but again I'm trying to get some miles on my truck as I keep hearing 3K or 5K or 18K or whatever mileage figure is popular right now, it will really loosen up. Also keep in mind with the Volant you will not hear any "sucking" noise at WOT, it is as quiet as stock at all rpms. I did the disconnect the battery trick but for me it didn't seem to make any difference at least with my 04. DC employees read these boards too and I'm sure some engineer figured a way to retain the factory programming in the pcm even with the battery disconnected. Who knows for sure?
5SpeedHemi

Post by 5SpeedHemi »

m15fwtnc thanks for the feedback !!
Hadachevy

Best intake for the hemi?

Post by Hadachevy »

I had a volant, for about 2-3 days. Volant could have spend some of the $300 on engineering better airfilter box - I thought it came from my kids science project. Long story short - didn't notice any difference, and granted 10 hp on a 2 ton beast is hard to notice. But I kept a light foot and didn't see the gas mileage improve one bit. So @#$% it, put in a K&N filter and leave it at that. At least with K&N, I know they put some money into engineering.
So I'm in hold mode until one of the better programmers/chips comes out
RumbleBee

Post by RumbleBee »

Ok guys put away those high dollar high tech super duper intakes with all those funny designs. There is nothing better for a larger engine like the hemi, than a good 4" aluminum intake with a cone filter. Check it out at http://www.360airintakez.com It has defintately added power to mine and took off 2 tenths at the track :roll:
04 RumbleBee 2/4 Drop, 22" Motto Wheels, 305/40/22 Toyo Proxes, 360airintakez powder coated yellow 4" intake, JetStage2 chip, Dynatech LongTube Headers, No Cats, 3" exhaust, Cust. Leath. seats w/ RumbleBee Symbols,5 spd w/ 3.92's KenneBell 06/30/2004
hemivol

Post by hemivol »

I am going back anf forth myself. I see where people claim to get .3 tenths knocked off there times and the after awhile the pcm takes it back. :-?
I think I would go with the air ram, simply because he is one of us, and I truly believe that he has put the most time, and testing in on these trucks than any other company. He builds his system for dodge trucks, and only dodge trucks.
'04 q/c off road
hemivol

Post by hemivol »

A guy over at dto has some dyno's on his gallery...
http://dodgetrucks.org/cgi-bin/index.pl ... =hemifever
'04 q/c off road