hemi ram problems-paging all service techs!!

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

MEANGENE75

hemi ram problems-paging all service techs!!

Post by MEANGENE75 »

man, i can use some ideas. ive got a 03 hemi ram in my shop right now thats kicking my guys butts. heres the deal. truck was flooded and hydrolocked kicking a rod. no long blocks available so insurance paid to piece one together. upon initial startup the thing had a bad rattle. turns out the tech didnt get all the debris out of the intake and a piece got sucked in. it made its way out after holding at 3000rpm for several minutes. all was good until on the testdrive it would shut down at 4000rpm. almost like a rev limiter kicked it. we feared engine damage so off come the heads to have the valves and springs inspected-a-okay. by that time the backordered lifters had arrived and were installed on re assymbley. still did it. falls on its face at 4000. prdl shows its in drive, noid light verifies injectors are not shutting down, new fuel pump didnt help. i eventually pull in a new unit and tell my guy to use anything he needs to get it running. crank, cam sensor, ecm and coils get swapped but still have the same problem. cut the cat off with a sabersaw out of desperation, still did it. any ideas?????? if anyone can help im going to rename tech 2050 after you for the rest of his career......gene
HEMI911

Post by HEMI911 »

Try replacing the throttle body...sometimes if there is a problem with the resistors that tell the computer where the throttle blade is it will do that.

Let me know if that works!
MEANGENE75

Post by MEANGENE75 »

i appreciate the tip,,however we have already tried swapping with another unit. didnt help. heres whats been replaced so far--ecm, o2sensor, crank sensor, cam sensor, throttle body, coils, catalytic convertor, app and maybe some other stuff im not aware of. after many contacts with starline they have advised me they are trying to arrange a field tech to come inspect the truck. still puzzled.....gene
rico

hemi rpm problem

Post by rico »

have u checked the vehicle speed while this is happening.a false mph reading can shut down the engine also.
MEANGENE75

Post by MEANGENE75 »

thought about that. all speed sensors agree on the drb. however we have since fixed the problem. for those interested, the camshaft dowel pin sheared allowing the cam to rotate 180 deg. amazing there where no misfire codes. what allowed the vehicle to run half butt was the fact the hemi fires 180 off on the exhaust side. thus we had spark albeit weak spark. replacement of the camshaft and dowel fixed the problem. thanks for all your ideas.

p.s. my 04 hemi single cab showed up monday!
rico

need a tech

Post by rico »

i know how u feel...i just had an 04 durango hemi that broke some valve springs.ran great @ 2500 rpm but...was over fueling like crazy,pulse width was in the 8000 range.no indicators,no mis-fires,only low map vacuum shown on the starscan.a real head scratcher.
MEANGENE75

Post by MEANGENE75 »

valve springs on hemi's, there is a touchy subject. the original part number has been through many redesigns. weve done full set of valve springs on 3 hemi's in the last 45 days. most current (and improved according to starline's technitions) have no painted color stripe on em. if you have any color stripes on yours....eeeeeshhh. im trying to match up an oem hemi valvespring to a usable comp cams replacement. will post findings as i come accross them.
04 hemi, sc, sport, red, 3.92 posi, 22" wheels, flowmaster cat back, mopar long tube headers, srt 10 hood, mopar cod air,cold air duct, hypertech, ground force drop, sirius radio, momo sub, tint, 180 thermostat, silverstar lamps, mopar bed cover.
GreenbeanZ28

Post by GreenbeanZ28 »

I'd check those valve springs again. My Camaro did a much similar thing, but it was at 6100. Dropped 100 rwhp due to bad springs. It felt like hitting a limiter.
Russ
'96 Z28 M6-Stock rear springs and shocks
11.41@119 423/375 rwhp/rwtq
'04 Ram 1500 SLT 2WD
Mac CAI, Flowmaster Side exit exhaust.
Rampant

Post by Rampant »

Check the tsb's, there was a recall on an entire lot of the valve springs not too long ago.