NO MUFFLERS

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

chairybutt

NO MUFFLERS

Post by chairybutt »

has anyone ever ran no mufflers on the new hemi? if so how does it sound and does it hurt performance?? thanks
Rampant

Post by Rampant »

My buddy has an 02 that he cut the exhaust off at the box. I think that it sounds horrible, but he loves how loud it is. Loud, but still sounds bad. He tells me it frees up power without the back pressure, but I wonder about the damage he is probably doing.
cue244

Post by cue244 »

When we were putting on my flowmaster system, I started up my truck without the muffler on and I was suprised it wasn't louder. Those cats up by the engine must do one hell of a job. As far as performance goes, I don't know what would happen.
2004 1500 QC Hemi
360 Air Intake
50 Flowmaster Duals
4" Tips
Rampant

Post by Rampant »

The cats do not quiet the exhaust. They straighten the flow and clean up the emissions. Starting the truck is not the same as driving it without the exhaust. No mufflers equalls burned out cats and many new o2 sensors. My buddy's cats are now completely destroyed and he is on his third set of o2 sensors, without a huge hp gain. Stick to a catback or complete new exhaust system. If you really need the volume, through in an exhaust cutout and use it when you need to.
matt e

Post by matt e »

cats don't quiet the exhaust my butt! I had a straight pipe in place of my cat for a few weeks and it was loud as hell, waaaaaaay louder than with the cat on at start up/ idle and driving... I have a magnaflow high flow cat now, much better.
'03 silver Ram 1500 QC Hemi 4x4 Laramie 3.92s
Custom air intake, 3" magnaflow exhaust w/ high flow cat, 0-25K ohm adjustable IAT sensor mod, helix power tower, 195 degree t-stat, Superchips Hemi tuner, BFG A/T 325/60R20s.
Rampant

Post by Rampant »

The cats are not designed to quiet the exhaust. Try running just the cats and straight pipe for a little while longer, then when your cats are burned out tell me how they quiet your exhaust.
matt e

Post by matt e »

I've never ran a cat only with no muffler, but had the cat off for a while and it was rediculously loud with it off and a magnaflow muffler... I then got a magnaflow stainless high flow cat and it brought it back to the same sound level as when I had the stock cat on... I know that the cats job isn't to quiet the exhaust but it sure does a good job of it...
Custom air intake, 3" magnaflow exhaust w/ high flow cat, 0-25K ohm adjustable IAT sensor mod, helix power tower, 195 degree t-stat, Superchips Hemi tuner, BFG A/T 325/60R20s.
matt e

Post by matt e »

Hemi777 on DTW has an '03 reg, cab long box 2wd and has no cat or muffler with a single 3" tailpipe and he runs 13.7 in the 1/4[12.7 w/nos]
Rampant

Post by Rampant »

The run times are right, but he only runs no exhaust at the strip. Otherwise he uses his truck as a work truck
matt e

Post by matt e »

I don't think he puts his muffler and/ or cat back on when he's not racing. 3" straight pipe all the way through all the time...
TheRedneckWay

Post by TheRedneckWay »

i got homemade mufflers on my truck, some people call them "gutts" because they are gutted out and hollow. They are louder than Flowmasters, but not near as loud as staight pipes. Not to mention no backfiring. Im very pleased with the results, not to mention low cost to make. They are very easy to make and install (if you can weld) all you need is a welder, some sheetmetal and some pipes. however, im also aware my sheet metal will rust out sooner than the staineless many companies like Flowmaster are now using. So my great sound is giving up durability. you guys's mufflers will outlast mine by a long shot