Low Idle

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

pdt

Low Idle

Post by pdt »

Has anyone had trouble with their 04' 2500 having a abnormally low idle?

My RPM will drop to around 500 when the motor is warm sitting at the stop light; but if you tap the peddle or shift the trans into neutral then back into drive the RPM will jump up to around 750 and stay there until have to stop at the next light.

Any ideas?
Rampant

Post by Rampant »

It is supposed to do that, it is normal. The throttle mod that people have been doing makes the low idle disappear. The low idle makes your initial acceleration slower. The low idle is set low to reduce fuel consumption when the vehicle is stopped. Another thing that you can do is tap the gas at the light to bring the rpm back up and teach the computer not to drop that low.
TheRedneckWay

Post by TheRedneckWay »

mine idles at 500 so it must be normal. Im thinking about increasing my idle to 800 or 1000 or so........needlesss to say the 500 rpm idl bothers me too.. its nice to know im not the only one
Rampant

Post by Rampant »

How are you going to increase the idle rpms?
Only way I know is the new converter I dropped in, and it is not close to 1000 rpm
TheRedneckWay

Post by TheRedneckWay »

adjust the throttle cable
Asa

Post by Asa »

good luck with that throttle cable adjustment :lol:
MEANGENE75

Post by MEANGENE75 »

interested in the throttle adjustment, i havent heard of this and am skeptical if it will actually change idle speed. i believe the app (accelerator pedal position sensor) will 0 itself out at every key off. anyone done this and had it work? or fail? lets chat on this one. every ram through the shop idles around 550 warm in gear....gene
04 hemi, sc, sport, red, 3.92 posi, 22" wheels, flowmaster cat back, mopar long tube headers, srt 10 hood, mopar cod air,cold air duct, hypertech, ground force drop, sirius radio, momo sub, tint, 180 thermostat, silverstar lamps, mopar bed cover.