Noisy Trans

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

pdt

Noisy Trans

Post by pdt »

I have the new five speed auto and it sounds like the trans is going to fall out of the truck when it is shifted from Reverse to Park or from Drive to Park. I took it into the Dealer and the Service Writer told me that they all sound that way and that I was wasting my time by wanting to have it checked out.

Should I seak out another Dealer to have it looked at?
BVest65

Post by BVest65 »

If you do not think the sound is healthy, definitely take it to another dealer and have it looked at. Also, while they are looking at it, ask to drive one on the lot to compare yours to, so if they come back and say "it's normal", you can have some background and know if others do it or not.

I know my month old '04 QC Hemi with the 5sp Auto doesn't do it much, but I've had it happen maybe 3 times going from reverse to drive. I personally think it's the shotty torque converter they put in 'em stock.

Hope this helps!
:-D
Billy
2SLO4U

mine makes a slight buzzing noise going into gear

Post by 2SLO4U »

mine makes a slight buzzing noise going into gear - is that what you're talking about?

i have an 03 1500 2WD QC Laramie with the sport package and 20s, 3.91 anti slip - bought it used with 10K on the odo
2003 1500 HEMI 2WD Laramie
1964 D100 426W High Performance Package
pdt

Post by pdt »

The trans actually seems to slam into gear when it is shifted into or out of park to another gear, like the drivetrain had too much play in it.

I think that I am going to see if they have another 2500 4x4 to test drive when I take the truck in. Even though the Service Writer doesn't think that there is something wrong, it just doesn't feel right.
GreenbeanZ28

Post by GreenbeanZ28 »

Mine makes all kinds of racket from park to reverse.
Russ
'96 Z28 M6-Stock rear springs and shocks
11.41@119 423/375 rwhp/rwtq
'04 Ram 1500 SLT 2WD
Mac CAI, Flowmaster Side exit exhaust.
2SLO4U

Post by 2SLO4U »

pdt wrote:The trans actually seems to slam into gear when it is shifted into or out of park to another gear, like the drivetrain had too much play in it.

I think that I am going to see if they have another 2500 4x4 to test drive when I take the truck in. Even though the Service Writer doesn't think that there is something wrong, it just doesn't feel right.
mine does not slam at all - sounds like it is not operating well
2003 1500 HEMI 2WD Laramie
1964 D100 426W High Performance Package
Rampant

Post by Rampant »

check into the transmission tsb. I believe that it is for the 2003. I am not sure but I think that it is a flash uipgrade. Most problems came from trucks shifting from forward to reverse multiple times in sort time spans. And remember, the truck's warranty is good at any dealership. You can always go to another one to have it looked at. Just forget to tell them about noticing it before, and ask for a mechanic to ride along with you to show him the problem. My wife's 02 had a problem that the service tech said didnot exist, the mechanic I took for a ride wanted me to leave the truck with him immeadiately. It is all who you talk to and how you talk to them at the dealerships.
pdt

Post by pdt »

Rampant wrote:check into the transmission tsb. I believe that it is for the 2003. I am not sure but I think that it is a flash uipgrade. Most problems came from trucks shifting from forward to reverse multiple times in sort time spans. And remember, the truck's warranty is good at any dealership. You can always go to another one to have it looked at. Just forget to tell them about noticing it before, and ask for a mechanic to ride along with you to show him the problem. My wife's 02 had a problem that the service tech said didnot exist, the mechanic I took for a ride wanted me to leave the truck with him immeadiately. It is all who you talk to and how you talk to them at the dealerships.
It sucks having to sweet talk someone into honoring their warranty.

I am going to take the thing back in a ask to speak to a trans tech....also a guy @ work just bought an 04' with the same five speed trans, I am going to check his trans out this week and compare it to mine.
Lou Rizzo

Noisy trans

Post by Lou Rizzo »

There is a replacement kit for some type of a ball bearing that goes somewhere in the trans valve body. This is a warranty related fix.

2003 Ram1500 Hemi only 20,000Km
Ottawa, Canada
TheRedneckWay

Post by TheRedneckWay »

I said in an earlier post (about guys doing burnouts) that these transmissions are junk. Well, let me rephrase that....maybe not the trannies, but the torque converters definetly are. These 5-45RFE 5spd automatics were designed by the powers- that -be at Daimler Chrysler to be used in only Jeep Cherokees and V6 equipped Rams and Dakotas. Then they slowly started appearing in Rams and Durangos bolted to the slightly more powerful 4.7L V8. The next thing ya know, the 5.7 HEMI is on the scene and those einsteins are using this same transmission behind a 345hp motor. These engines are way too powerful and torque plentiful for a transmission designed to be used behind a 4.0L straight six in a Jeep Cherokee. All this info came from an in-law of mine who is a top executive in the Daimler Chrysler company.
PrettyBlueCoffin

Post by PrettyBlueCoffin »

I have the same problem, hard rocking into reverse from park. I am all about group nagging for a totally new transmission.

Who's with me???
2004 RAM 1500 QUAD CAB(R) LARAMIE 4X2 SWB
3.92 Axle Ratio / Anti-Spin Differential