Keith Black or Ray Burton

Discussion of Hemi crate engines.

Moderator: scottm

HEMIwes

Keith Black or Ray Burton

Post by HEMIwes »

Does anybody have any input on whether to go with an aftermarket HEMI from Keith Black or Ray Burton? I know they are both well known names, but who really makes the better HEMI? :-?
CrAzY MoPaR GuY

Post by CrAzY MoPaR GuY »

I went with Ray Barton.

The quality of workmanship is why, I think he does a more thorough job of building a piece of precision machinery than one could imagine.

The TIME he takes is another matter, I was told 6 weeks, but it ended up being 10 months+, which wasn't ALL his fault. The run around I was given is what pissed me off, but it's a small price to pay, I guess.
I'm building my headers, and it won't be running in my chassis until the end of the summer, so I guess my judgement is still out..?
FastEddie S

Post by FastEddie S »

If you're looking for a crate motor I'd go with a Ray Barton mill. I'm not sure if you can get a crate from KB or not.
They're both making quality Hemi stuff. Keith's experience goes back to the early '50s, and he really knew what a Hemi was all about. Last week was the 12th anniversary of his death. :(
Two of my best friends swear by KB, and I'm running quite a few KB components in mine.
Personally I don't think you could go wrong with either one, but then, how could you go wrong with a HEMI!! 8)
HEMIwes

Post by HEMIwes »

The reason I ask this is because I have a couple of options on how to go about getting my HEMI. I own a 1972 Prostreet Nova which is a full tubb show/race car with a 6-71 Wieand blower 502 cu. I was offered a trade for the car which consisted of a .060 borred 426 HEMI with aluminum heads, a Milodon oiling system, and a 8-71 blower. Somewhere in the neighbor hood of 1100 hp. OR I could sell the car and use the money towards a partially built HEMI. What should I do?
CrAzY MoPaR GuY

Post by CrAzY MoPaR GuY »

Is the engine running so you can hear/test it, or apart so you can inspect it?
What would you put the engine in if you did do the trade? Do you have a shell, or?
HEMIwes

Post by HEMIwes »

the engine is apart and needs to be assembled. It will be going into a 1970 Cuda'. I have to find my dream car somewhere; the cuda. :D . I don't know whether to get the motor first and go into some debt, but have the motor, or look for the car first and get that.
Hemidakota

Re: Keith Black or Ray Burton

Post by Hemidakota »

HEMIwes wrote:Does anybody have any input on whether to go with an aftermarket HEMI from Keith Black or Ray Burton? I know they are both well known names, but who really makes the better HEMI? :-?
Hmm....I know Keith from years ago and had a 454 made by his shop. Outstanding work and a blast lighting up the tires with a floating tire smog (no...I didn't use water either...) that hanged in the air.
Steve
Future Purchase: 2006 Charger SRT-8/2006 MegaCab 6.1 Hemi
"Coming soon 600HP SRT-10 to pull the SRT-4 & SRT-8 Charger to the track!"
528hemikb

Post by 528hemikb »

Hi

Just incase you have not gotten it stairt yet, Keith Black does not make crate engines. He only casts blocks. At this time he does not even make heads or cranks or the like.
Ray Barton is an engine assembler. He does not cast or make anything. Ray Barton buys block frrom Mopar. Keith black or Indy and assembles an engine for you.,
If you buy a K/B Block you still need somone to assemble it for you like Ray Barton.

A
K/B and Ray Barton Gan
cuda70

Jay Hasse

Post by cuda70 »

The best of the best is Jay hasse. Not only building the worlds fastest Pro Stock Hemi the 815. http://www.jonkaaseracingengines.com/en ... 0Mopar.htm

his shop also won the 2003 Engine Masters challange.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/engine ... 04phr_emc/

If you are REALLY serious!
392heminut

Re: Jay Hasse

Post by 392heminut »

cuda70 wrote:The best of the best is Jay hasse.
I believe the name is Jon Kasse!
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
cuda70

oops!

Post by cuda70 »

Damn I wish I can type Kasse!!!