crate hemi problems

Discussion of Hemi crate engines.

Moderator: scottm

dodgeman66

Post by dodgeman66 »

I have been told by my dealer that they are going to send me a new motor as soon as they get some. They are setting up a new foundry and it may be August before they are available. They also said that Cummins was going to test run and dyno all the engines from now on. HUH. I guess they are finally going to get the ball rolling right this time around but I hope the new foundry does not start new problems. The worst part is taking this monster out of the car without messing up all the finish work that has been done, but still I can hardly wait to get one that is made right this time. I had really planned to do some driving this summer but I guess thats off unless I get it sooner.
dodgeman66

Post by dodgeman66 »

Well as of now Im like most waiting on a replacement engine. Cummins called me after my dealer got me in touch with them AND THEY ARE GOING TO SEND ME A NEW MOTOR when the new foundry gets up and going. He said probably August or early September. He also said they would be test running them at least eight hours and dynoing them before they go out. All the problems of past should be all worked out!!! Ill keep ya updated if I find out anything else. Bill
dodgeman66

crate hemi

Post by dodgeman66 »

The wait is finally over because I got my replacement crate hemi in!! Ive only started it and ran it about fifteen minutes but Ill have to wait a few days to take it on the road. (SNOW) They sent me a 472 to replace the 426 which was just fine with me and I can tell off the bat its a lot crisper than the ole 426 was. Can hardly wait to hit the road to see what 540 horses feels like. I have faith in mopar again.
cuda70

Crate Problems

Post by cuda70 »

Problems with crate’s is certainly not limited to Chryslers. My friends in the Chevy world are reporting the same thing with Chevy crates. The word is that "crate motors" (although are to spec) are not built with premium parts. I'm willing to bet any crate hemi does not come with a billet crank or even pistons from a reparable company like TRW.

EVERY engine builder I have talked with recommends buying a bare block and build it yourself with race quality components. The cost is about the same but the engines strength is like night and day. There are many good designs that can be followed so all you really are doing is assembling.

I have been exploring crate engines for my Cuda. I have also heard the horror stories.

Sorry!
hobbeekid

Post by hobbeekid »

Jeez! I have a pre cummins foundry cast block & heads I bought around 1994/1995 when the components were first offered to the general public.I hope that this early new stuff does'nt have the casting problems that the later cast blocks ,98,99,00 has, if so I'm in trouble............ :o
hemidup

Post by hemidup »

We put a 472 crate into a Challenger. The fuel pump didn't work and it consumes 2 qt's of oil every 100 miles. After a 1000 mi of driving, the rings still haven't seated.
392 Blown Hemi