crate 426 hemi

Discussion of Hemi crate engines.

Moderator: scottm

scruffy

crate 426 hemi

Post by scruffy »

:lol: has anyone heard of problems with the new crate 426 engines? We bought one from Earnhardt Dodge in Arizona, was bad, contacted Cummins in Canada, they replaced it and we are still having problems with it. Drove it 200 miles and it used 3 quarts of oil, they even dynotuned this one before shipping it. The first one had three bolts broken on the adjusting bolts to the rocker arms and valve springs, the cam went down on it after several attempts to get it going, also there wasn't any signs of valve seals in it. We thought this one would be different but beginning to think we are wrong on it too. Any suggestions? The place in Canada has been really good to work with but don't think this engine is what it is suppose to be either.
john

crate hemi's

Post by john »

Scruffy:living here in Az,I can tell you Mopar enthusiasts are few and far between.I had thought about getting a crate motor myself, but after talking with a parts guy at another mopar dealership here in Az I changed my mind.It seems the early castings (as you might have) were, like the original early 426 castings weak and/or porous according to him. Chrysler has since changed casting vendors and a lot of people,including myself are waiting for them. As for the cam and valve seals,remember a lot of these parts are farmed out to smaller manufacturers who produce or assemble them (heads for example) then simply ship them back to Chrysler for final assembly. I found this out when I tried to order a new set of Chrysler's new cnc machined hemi head and was told that while the head was available,the compnay that did the cnc'ing was backed up and couldn't give me a delivery date. My solution? after talking to someone at Ray Barton Racing who quoted me a 6-8 week delivery time I decided to opt for one of their engines. Keep in mind this is just my experiences with dealing with Chrysler,maybe someone else has had better luck
CrAzY MoPaR GuY

Post by CrAzY MoPaR GuY »

My neighbour heard of the rocker adjusting screw problems, and he phoned Cummins. They told him there was a defective batch, hardened improperly, and after he bitched they sent him a completely new set of screws and jam nuts. Free.
MG42pillbox

Post by MG42pillbox »

Yea and dont buy from Earnhardt, I have heard many horror stories, I am also in Phx AZ
One whose life is Infecting others with Falsehood, shall fall greater than any of their Victims.