anyone know the answer?

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

dodgedifferent2

anyone know the answer?

Post by dodgedifferent2 »

its for a job if i get it right i get the job ....

i went to hand in a resume and we got talking about stuff

and he had a giant crankshaft in the front lawn and i wanted to know what it was from ....a tug boat

then i asked if he did anything with early hemis because i wanted to rebuild too and he asked me about a 1942 v-12 overhead cam HEMI made by Ford ...i never heard of this...so he told me to look it up and come back with the answer...so here i am asking....and trying to find it anywhere on the internet
dodgedifferent2

:-?
Chrycoman

Re: anyone know the answer?

Post by Chrycoman »

dodgedifferent2 wrote:its for a job if i get it right i get the job ....

i went to hand in a resume and we got talking about stuff

and he had a giant crankshaft in the front lawn and i wanted to know what it was from ....a tug boat

then i asked if he did anything with early hemis because i wanted to rebuild too and he asked me about a 1942 v-12 overhead cam HEMI made by Ford ...i never heard of this...so he told me to look it up and come back with the answer...so here i am asking....and trying to find it anywhere on the internet
An OHC Hemi V-12, by Ford? No.

A flathead V-12 by Ford? Yes. The Lincoln-Zephyr used a flathead V-12 from 1936 through 1942. It was used after W.W.II in the 1946-48 Lincolns (which were actually Zephyrs without the Zephyr nameplate.)
Bill
Vancouver, BC
dodgedifferent2

hahaha i see that you wont keep options open.

did you know the hemi was used on many european cars before chrysler used it? did you know it originally started as a motorcycle engine? and did you knwo that the flathead conversion kit that was a hemi designe ...caled the ardun?

i believe it is possible being the war going on and everyone sharing information for the good of the allies
Chrycoman

Post by Chrycoman »

dodgedifferent2 wrote:hahaha i see that you wont keep options open.

did you know the hemi was used on many european cars before chrysler used it? did you know it originally started as a motorcycle engine? and did you knwo that the flathead conversion kit that was a hemi designe ...caled the ardun?

i believe it is possible being the war going on and everyone sharing information for the good of the allies
The first known use of a hemi engine in an American-built car was the 1903 Welch, with a 2-cylinder engine.

Chrysler was testing hemi-head engines during World War II for military purposes.

The Ardun conversion was designed by Arkus-Duntov, AFTER World War II. And it was developed for the Ford V-8, and NOT the Lincoln V-12. The Lincoln V-12 was not an engine noted for its strength. It needed regular oil changes or it would quickly turn into an oil burner. Basically, it was a Ford V8 times one and a half.

I most certainly do keep my options open.
Bill
Vancouver, BC
dodgedifferent2

Chrycoman wrote: The Ardun conversion was designed by Arkus-Duntov, AFTER World War II. And it was developed for the Ford V-8, and NOT the Lincoln V-12. The Lincoln V-12 was not an engine noted for its strength. It needed regular oil changes or it would quickly turn into an oil burner. Basically, it was a Ford V8 times one and a half.
as for the ardun head i never mentioned too much about it because i have all that information and it was for the flathead v-8
http://www.geocities.com/dodgedifferent ... story.html
and no it has not been updated in a few years because i am still compiling information as time goes on and i suffered a computer crash so i lost alot of the information i did have compiled and never had a backup of it all
:-?
as for the lincoln v-12 it was not even close or considered to what i thought it could have been, because the gentleman told me that it produced over 300 HP so that one was ruled out pretty quick

i went to find out the answer today and it was the merlin aircraft engine that was designed by rolls royce. Ford also took the desing and made the engine for rolls royce and then later adapted that engine design to be used as a M26 tank engine, but in a v-8 configuration known as the GAF engine. At the time it produced amazing horsepower which i do believe was 500 hp

and chrysler tested a v-16 hemi headed engine in the 40's as well with 4 carbs, but scrapped it because it was hard to maintain. which i did have pictures of at one time but the computer crash wiped it all out
OldIron

Post by OldIron »

http://www.spitfireart.com/merlin_engines.html

any more news on what you were searching for ? Ford built craploads of stuff during WWII. Their assembly lines were a major asset during the war.
OldIron

Post by OldIron »

http://www.enginehistory.org/_vti_bin/s ... /index.htm

The GAA and GAF tank engines were originally from a V-12 Ford built as mentioned on this site.

As far as being OHC or combustion chamber shape I've no idea.

If I could remember half this stuff I did up.... :o
Gullwing

Post by Gullwing »

There was a Liberty motor built during WWI which was an helical drive single overhead cam V-12. I believe was at least a semi-hemi as the valves were inclined about 30 degrees from each other. It put out 440 HP back in 1918. The military built 15,000 of them in just 18 month production. I doubt that it is the answer to your riddle but you can dazzle this guy with your knowledge of early Hi-Po motors anyway!
Wild Turkey

Post by Wild Turkey »

Search for "WWII tank engines" and you might get some hits. I recently saw some infor on a five bank (IIRC) engine made up using standard truck engines.

good luck!