40 Series Flowmaster

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

Hemi_Freak

40 Series Flowmaster

Post by Hemi_Freak »

I just put on new dual exhust system with a 40 Series Flowmaster. I have the pipes coming out both sides behind the back wheels. The sound is awesome if your not in the truck. When I go about 70 mph on the highway the cabin noise drives me CRAZY. I have to go slower or faster to make the noise change. I have been told it is because the pipes are coming out the sides and not the back. Can anyone prove this? If putting then out the back will make this very ignoring sould go away I will change it. Please help. :-?
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab Laramie 4x4
MODS-Dual Stainless Steel Exhust 40 Series Flowmaster
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

It's my understanding that chambered mufflers such as the Flowmasters develop a resonance at certain rpm's, and there's not much you can do about it. I've never used Flowmasters for that very reason, so I'm not speaking from experience but I suspect the tailpipes don't have much to do with the problem.
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
TangoHemi

Post by TangoHemi »

Hemi Freak, I had the same problem w/ my QC. I don't have the 40- series, mine is a 50-. I too have the pipes over the rear and out the back, behind each tire. All my muffler guy did was move the muffler 5" back. This reduced the interior noise and made it bearable. I don't get the resonance, just the sweet sound of the Hemi! Good luck.

Tango
'03 Ram 1500 QC "Thunderroad"
H-60 Special Ops / Rescue Pilot

http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines.com ... 332&pos=13
MetgotNaHemi

40-Series Flowmaster

Post by MetgotNaHemi »

I have the 40-series flowmaster on my 04 Hemi Ram, my pipes go straight back and I have no problems -- all I hear is an awesome sound.
Agnt42

Post by Agnt42 »

I want to do this soon...Obviously you guys that run your exhaust straight back are not pulling anything with your truck...If you were the kickback noise would make you change your mind.

I want to run mine out the sides behind the tires similar to what hemifreak has done....are you pulling anything with your hemifreak?
and any change in sound ( I assume not )
Hemi_Freak

Post by Hemi_Freak »

I had to take my Flowmaster 40 off my ram. I do not pull anything with my truck BUT.... I understand IF I ever were to pull something, it would be better out the sides. THe 40 Flowmaster was way tooooo loud inside the truck. I put a Magnaflow on and it is alot quiter inside and still some sound outside.
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab Laramie 4x4
MODS-Dual Stainless Steel Exhust 40 Series Flowmaster