WANT MORE POWER IN MY 426 CRATE , WHAT TO DO ?

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

HemiRat

WANT MORE POWER IN MY 426 CRATE , WHAT TO DO ?

Post by HemiRat »

ANY tips on how to ad some more power / torque on a 426 crate ?

Dont want blower / nitro stuff. Nut look for good tips in:

Ignition systems ?
Intakes and carbs ( current a '71 2x4 with 2x 600 edelb.)
Cams
Heads
other items.

Currently car has TTI headers and flowmasters, no other special
stuff exept the intake !.

ANY TIPS WELCOME !

Have the feeling my engine laks a bit power, but runs great and pics
up good.

THANKS For any TIPS !
:D
Hemi-Rat

Always keep your PedalToTheMetal
R/T Jack

Post by R/T Jack »

You need a higher lift cam. I would recommend contacting one of the larger cam companies or one of the engine builders who specialize in hemi's and get their recommendation on a cam for your combo. The cam in the 426 crate hemi is fairly mild.
HemiRat

Post by HemiRat »

R/T Jack wrote:You need a higher lift cam. I would recommend contacting one of the larger cam companies or one of the engine builders who specialize in hemi's and get their recommendation on a cam for your combo. The cam in the 426 crate hemi is fairly mild.
Got your set up mail !

Thanks for the tips Jack !

MORE INPUT WELCOME FROM OTHER HEMI CRATE OWNERS !
Hemi-Rat

383Dart

Post by 383Dart »

http://moparmusclemagazine.com/techarti ... ndex1.html

Read that my friend, with a good cam and intake and header combo they almost nailed 600 horse thwy were 1 horsepower off.
HemiRat

Post by HemiRat »

383Dart wrote:http://moparmusclemagazine.com/techarti ... ndex1.html

Read that my friend, with a good cam and intake and header combo they almost nailed 600 horse thwy were 1 horsepower off.
Good reading material !! Thanks !

Fred

WOULD like to know guys driving ! with bigger set ups aswell!.
imput imput ! Thanks again ! :P
Hemi-Rat

MG42pillbox

Post by MG42pillbox »

Its amazing how superior the Mopar Hemis are comapred to other Crates, with even with less compression, displacment and cam, the power band is not only more consistance, but significantly higher.
One whose life is Infecting others with Falsehood, shall fall greater than any of their Victims.
challengerman

Post by challengerman »

I could be wrong, but I' suspect research would bear out that you could make some good gains getting rid of those "Edelbrocks". I would say a big single plane with a Holley style 4bbl for HP or a pair on a cross-ram for torque. What does the rest of the board think?

Challengerman
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

My 392 ran 1/2 a second slower in the 1/4 with a Weiand dual four manifold and two Edelbrocks 600's than it did with the Hot Heads dual plane and a Holley 750 with vacuum secondaries.There was nothing wrong with the Edelbrocks, they were tuned to the car and ran great on the street, they just didn't perform as well as the single four barrel setup.
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
R/T Jack

Post by R/T Jack »

In the May 2005 Mopar Muscle magazine they test a new Stage V single plane dual 4 manifold with two 750 Holleys. They managed a 22 HP gain over a Vanke modified street hemi manifold with two 750 Edelbrock's. Sounds like something to check into if you still want the look of the dual quad's. This is not the same manifold Mopar is offering, the Mopar dual 4 manifold is a dual plane design.
Holton

Post by Holton »

Take the engine apart, and add a "light drag" piston ring pack. add torque plates and get a proper hone, on the cylinder walls. that will be your best cost efective H.P. gain...call tri-city competion in SanDiago CA....e-mail me, and I will be glad to pass there phone#....C.H.