392 in a 40 Ford

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

hemi4t

392 in a 40 Ford

Post by hemi4t »

I am new to the site and would like to know if anyone out there has done a 392 in a 40 ford before? This has been a two year project so far and should be complete by this summer. It has run already for cam breakin. The issue now is cooling fan. I am looking at an electric fan because I only have about 3 1/2 inches clearence to radiator. Anyone have a similar issue with there build up in any vehicle?
41hemi

Post by 41hemi »

I run a blown 392 in a 32 Ford and there is 1/2" clearance between the radiator and the blower belt. Needless to say I have to run a fan in front of the radiator. I have it hooked up to a switch that I can use when it is needed as in stop and go traffic. At cruising speed there is enough air flow that the fan is not used. If you have room you should consider using a fan mounted behind the radiator as the fans pull air better than they push air. With the 3 1/2" of room you may be able to run a flex fan which would probably be your best bet. Hope this helps!
41 Chevy with blown 330 Desoto / 32 Ford coupe with blown 392 Chrysler
hemisedan

392 in a 40 Ford

Post by hemisedan »

Back a number of years ago, when I lived in Cedar Rapids, IA, there was a guy that had a 40 pickup that had a 354, I think, in it. He said that it was a tight fit, but still no firewall hacking, and still had the stock positioned radiator. :D

As for my preference, I like a bit more room and that is why I am going to the Dodge 325, what they call the baby hemi, for my 38 Ford project. Yes, I'd have used a 39 Dodge or Desoto, except that those that still have them think that they have GOLD. Anyway, my 38 hotrod project is interesting and I can find parts. :lol: :lol:

Just a few thoughts, but the 392 in a 40 will fit...
HEMI'S ARE MEANT TO BE DRIVEN!!