Roller lifters?

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

scottm

Roller lifters?

Post by scottm »

Someone has emailed me this question:
Can you advise me as to what year roller lifters were first used in a Hemi and also what year were roller lifters first designed and utilized.
Not my can of worms. Can anyone help?
challengerman

roller lifters?

Post by challengerman »

Ask Chet Herbert.
firepower354

Post by firepower354 »

Harley has used roller tappets in production engines since 1929. Maybe someone has an earlier reference?

Crower Imperial rollers came out around 1960 for the 331/354/392 hemis and even had roller journals like Nascar uses now. I know they were used in hemis in the mid 50's.
challengerman

roller lifters

Post by challengerman »

Chet used to work on Harleys and run them at Bonneville. A lot of guys noticed the roller lifters on radial engines during the war. A Harley is essentially a radial motor missing all but two of it's cylinders. It wasn't long after the end of WWll the guys thought "why not put these in a V8?" & they did. The performance gain isn't really so much a theoretical "less friction", but the ability to incorporate a much more radical cam grind in my opinion.
The Crower Imperial that seemed all but forgotten is not a new idea either and seems it's latest incarnation will be an option on small block Chevrolets. I don't know why they would fool with it. I asked Crower Jr. about this a couple of years ago & the impression I got was that the friction advantages didn't warrant the expense and some what "iffy" lifespan for most applications.
Hot rodding has an intersting history (to me). It's very uniqely American and deserves more attention and preservation than it has recieved so far I think.
I'll get off the soap box now / be happy to hear other opinions.