hemi duster

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

vini1069

hemi duster

Post by vini1069 »

I am looking for a duster with a V-8 in it for a first car. I do think it will be a 318/904 combo, but i eventually want to change it to either a 340, 360, or the new 5.7 hemi with a 727 tranny. The 360 is the cheapest and has a hp rating of 380. I was wondering if the hemi would provideany significant gains over the 360, and would it be worth the extra work the do the swap, or should i take the easy way and simply swap a 360 in fr $3000 and be all set? Thanks for helping me out here. By the way i am a teenager looking for a cool car to drive around in high school. It will also be raced occasionally:)
DPelleti

Post by DPelleti »

I would imagine that the 380 hp 360 is some hi-po Magnum crate engine, which isn't what you get for $3,000.00! Nonetheless, you can get much more hp for your dollars building a good 360 over a high dollar 5.7 hemi swap.

Dave
1970 Super Bee 440 Six Pack
firepower354

Post by firepower354 »

Drive around with the 318 while you upgrade/rebuild the brakes, suspension, etc. That's extra importaint if you plan racing. Safety then speed! Slowing down for the turn-off from 80-90 miles an hour your 318 should run takes practice, and you don't want to "learn" at 110 with a built 360. Work on reaction times, shift points, and launch technique with an easier combo. Add wheels and tires, a shift kit, a posi, a decent exhaust, intake and carb, electronic ignition, all stuff that will help when you start making some extra power. The hemi alone will cost a ton. The stand-alone harness is pricey too. I'd get a decent core 360, add a 4" MP crank, KB pistons, etc and build a nice 9.5:1 408 stroker. You won't need a steep gear or loose converter, and the torqu will really set you back in the seat.
vini1069

duster

Post by vini1069 »

Thanks guys, but that is kind of what i was planning on anyway. I want to disassemble the car and restore it with new parts when I get it, keep the 318 in it and go ahead and swap the engine later in high school when i can dig up some extra money. Thanks for the replies anyway. More advice wold still be good so please keep sending it!!!!!!!!! Anything helps so go ahead! Nothing is stupid.