1955 Hemi Desoto and a newer Hemi/

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

alklb

1955 Hemi Desoto and a newer Hemi/

Post by alklb »

Anyone know how much work would be needed to remove the original Hemi and drop in a New one that can have a/c added? Maybe a Hemi from a newer car that has been hit? I want to make a rocket ship!

Here is the car:

http://www.alklb.com/1955.htm

Thanks, Alan
1955 Desoto Coronado
1958 Edsel Villager wagon
1974 Dodge Charger SE

http://www.alklb.com/ourcars.htm
OldIron

Post by OldIron »

That would be a fun job ! If you are handy with wiring harnesses and mounting the computer etc it could be done. Not sure how fast a rocket ship you would have with that big ole heavy thing though !

The 1957 Chrysler 300 with a 375hp 392 Hemi hit 0-60 in 7.7 seconds and a quarter mile of of 17 seconds at 84mph....was fast then but kina pales when a new econobox 4 cylinder can keep up with it and get 30+mpg aye? :o

Keep us posted on the progress. I've always loved the idea of the older cars with updated engines and suspensions etc. "Retromods" i think is the latest buzzword...

Very nice car btw and thanks for posting the pics.
George

55 Desoto

Post by George »

I saw somewhere a guy has his own website covering the install of a 345 in a 55(?) Dodge. went to scatpack.com & found "Moparmania" in top 10,covers the install. Also listed a German site with same name.
reverendcolin

Post by reverendcolin »

why not just put a vintage aire A/C unit in with you 291?
Amen,
Reverend Colin
Gullwing

Post by Gullwing »

Sure we a lot less work to add a compressor and an alternator than it would be to change to a computerized electronic ignition modern motor and completely new driveline.