Hemi heads

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

dodgedifferent2

Post by dodgedifferent2 »

evolve as in came from the 426.

if that what u mean ya i would not doubt that .....just the emissions that that head would fail so they went with the semi hemi design ....427 SOHC ford
panic

Post by panic »

Last edited by panic on Sat May 08, 2004 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
MG42pillbox

Post by MG42pillbox »

panic wrote:BTW: 1st Ford hemi was 1964, the 255" Windsor-based Indy motor.
Where did you find that Info Panic?
One whose life is Infecting others with Falsehood, shall fall greater than any of their Victims.
cbxlr8r

HEMI Heads

Post by cbxlr8r »

For all of your HEMI related (and MOPAR in general) information, visit this site.

www.allpar.com

There is a plethora of information on the origins, development, history and future of the HEMI.

I hope that this helps.
boss_hoss

Post by boss_hoss »

I currently work at the Ford Windsor Casting plant and the HEMI heads that Ford apprantley made for chyrsler would've been made either here or in Cleveland and I can tell you that Ford has not now or ever made a HEMI head for Chrysler.
MG42pillbox

Post by MG42pillbox »

boss_hoss wrote:I currently work at the Ford Windsor Casting plant and the HEMI heads that Ford apprantley made for chyrsler would've been made either here or in Cleveland and I can tell you that Ford has not now or ever made a HEMI head for Chrysler.
Its absolutely ridiculous to think otherwise.
One whose life is Infecting others with Falsehood, shall fall greater than any of their Victims.
D-rat

Post by D-rat »

As previous posters have pointed out, car companies in the 60s were unlikely to cooperate at the corporate level, but the top engineers and designers were working in the same intellectual atmosphere, developing similar ideas and inventions. That's how science works. All of you with religious affiliations with Ford, Chrysler, whatever, are forgetting that the company that took advantage of the innovations are, in my opinion, less important than individual men doing the work. Here's an excerpt from an article by Curtis Redgap that seems to solve the Ford-Chrysler debate in this forum:

"There is an urban legend about the legendary General Motors engineer Zora Duntov, better known as the father of the Chevrolet Corvette. Before coming to GM, he designed a set of Hemi heads that were retrofitted to the Ford flathead V-8. Legend has it that Chrysler somehow "borrowed" the design from Duntov. Nothing could be further from the truth. Duntov didn't know anything about what Chrysler was doing, and Chrysler had entered into Hemi engineering long before Duntov began construction of his aftermarket, bolt on heads. If anyone at Chrysler was aware of the Duntov innovation, it was certainly never acknowledged. A Duntov headed Ford V-8 is on display at the Don Garlits Speed Museum in Ocala, Florida. At first glance, it certainly appears to resemble the Fire Power. That would only reinforce the fact that great minds travel in the same circles."

Anthropologists have debated for years whether innovation (fire, the wheel, etc.) spreads by diffusion or by indendent invention. Look, the hemi design isn't like Einstein, it is clever but multiple folks figured it out.
andybuzz2u

Post by andybuzz2u »

Humm..never heard of Ford making the Hemi heads for dodge, plymouth or Chrysler..Have heard the old "Urban legend" about a well known ford racer being so mad at loseing to a '65 HEMI Plymouth, He visited a near by Plymouth dealer in Talladega and ordered up a Factory HEMI race car just to see what made it so special. And first thing he did was pull the engine and tear it down, to see what made it so special.

I actually think if i remember correctly that is was Chrysler that made the first true HEMI head engine in the late 20's But there were some problems then they began tinkering with the HEMI heads again in the mid 30's.

Ford made the BOSS 429 Mustangs and what not, But they never made the power the Chrysler group 426 HEMI's put out. Its up in the air about the BOSS 429 even being a true HEMi engine, much like the current 5.7/6.1 HEMI's of today.

But i know the chrysler HEMI's powered tanks and fighter planes in WW2.....
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/hemi/chrysler-hemi.html
johnny5

FYI

Post by johnny5 »

This has been brought up before. Jaguar had the first hemi-headed passenger car motor in 1948.

http://www.classicjaguar.com/joanna.html

It's a DOHC I6(!) Truly light-years ahead of it's time.
scottm

Post by scottm »

1948 DOHC. And some people still think OHC is "new" technology. Pfft.
dodgedifferent2

Re: FYI

Post by dodgedifferent2 »

johnny5 wrote:This has been brought up before. Jaguar had the first hemi-headed passenger car motor in 1948.

http://www.classicjaguar.com/joanna.html

It's a DOHC I6(!) Truly light-years ahead of it's time.
it can be traced further back then that .... Jag was not the first passenger car.
4xNut

Re: Mixed up history

Post by 4xNut »

Headgames wrote:Chrysler did a great deal of work with hemi head engines in WWII, but it wasn't until the early '50s that they applied their knowlege to automotive engines.
This sounds pretty accurate

As far as I have been able to research, Chrysler's first experience with a Hemi Engine was eliminating the reliability issues of first-gen Wright 3350 Radial Engines (3350 cid, 18 cyl. 2 row). These were installed, most notably, in the B-29 Superfortress.
'56 354 Hemi
'55 270 Super Red Ram
301 Marine/Industrial Hemi
budmspeeco

Hemi heads

Post by budmspeeco »

What difference does it make. Just enjoy. Buddy
'48 anglia
firepower354

Post by firepower354 »

Amen, brother Buddy!

Hemispherical chambers were around from the earliest days of the internal combustion engine and popular since the early 1900's. Mopar was just bright enough to flaunt it!

Lock this nonsense down, and get out in the garage and fondle your own favorite hemi! Although some of the silliness and misinformation that spreads like wildfire throughout the internet was fun to watch.....

Rule #1: NEVER pass on information you haven't personally verified as truth, and even then exercise caution. There are more lies on the 'net than in a singles bar....