Oil leak / 392 Hemi

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

flores_57

Oil leak / 392 Hemi

Post by flores_57 »

:o HELP!, could somebody please steer me straight. I just got a 392 Hemi rebuilt & dropped it in a 1973 Barracuda. It runs great, but i've noticed a oil leak at various places. At first I tought the valve covers were leaking as the oil would drip on the exhaust manifolds & smoke up. Upon removing the covers I found nothing out of the place. The mech. that dropped the motor in said that I might think 'bout installing a couple of breathers. Now I did'nt install any breathers, but I did install a PCV valve on each of the valve covers & ran them back to the carb. plate. The leaks are around the bottom of the valve covers & the top of the valley cover, oil dip stick. Any advice would greatly be appreciated
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

Did you use the exhaust manifolds with the original studs, or did you use headers with bolts? The top three bolts go through the headcasting into the valvespring area and can leak oil if you didn't use some kind of sealer on the threads. Some of the lower bolts go into the water jacket and will leak coolant if there is no sealer on the threads. Go ahead......ask me how I know! :roll:

If you used the stock exhaust manifolds and didn't remove the original studs then the threads are probably sealed from corrosion and your problem is somewhere else.
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
flores_57

oil leak

Post by flores_57 »

:D I think you just solved my problem! I used the stock manifolds with new studs. I noticed the leak right above the top center stud. I'll remove the studs & apply some sort of sealer.Thanks alots...your the man! :wink:
P.S No water leaks at the bottom studs!
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

I used anti-seize on the threads and it seemed to solve the problem. Permatex also has a high-temp thread sealer, but I couldn't find any when I had the leaks (small town) so that's why I used the anti-seize. :wink:
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
41hemi

Leaks

Post by 41hemi »

Hey-- I had the same problem and found out the hard way :lol: :lol: But then again, I should never make that mistake again! Merry Christmas :D
41 Chevy with blown 330 Desoto / 32 Ford coupe with blown 392 Chrysler