From SBC to HEMI powered TAD

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

moparornocar

From SBC to HEMI powered TAD

Post by moparornocar »

NHRA ENTRY FOR: 405 TAD Carl Magee Victoria TX '92 McKinney BAE 421.

I built his first car, pictured below, he is scratching his chin; I'm the good looking shorty with the jacket on. This was the first race for the car, my friend Bill Rogers drove it; I tuned it to Top Eliminator first time out. This was in '64, I think.
Carl sold the car about 25-30 years ago and then he spotted it at a race about 2 years ago and bought it on the spot. I saw it about 10 months ago hanging in his garage. We know it is it because when finished for some reason I mounted the steering box on the wrong side for that particular box and the wheels turned the opposite direction of the direction the steering wheel was turned; a real trick to drive.
A mounting bracket was made and welded on the front cross member for a bell crank to change the steering direction.
Also this was the first set of front spokes I ever made and these were made from fabricated pieces of steel pipe with flanges welded on and I had left some very minute pinholes in the welds that were still slightly visible after chrome plating and after some 40 years they still looked the same.

http://www.thehemi.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=905
'51 Hemi & 55 SBC, a class of their own
moparornocar

Re: From SBC to HEMI powered TAD

Post by moparornocar »

Fast forward to 2006 and below is the listing for Carl's entry in the '06 Winternationals:
NHRA ENTRY FOR: 405 TAD Carl Magee, Victoria TX, '92 McKinney, BAE 421.
Carl qualified with about a 5.47 which was his best ever at that time.
This was after he was running the Hemi powered car and it has been some time since he last ran. The 5.47 would have qualified him at the '05 Indy Natls.
'51 Hemi & 55 SBC, a class of their own