Desoto rant

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

johnny5

Desoto rant

Post by johnny5 »

Okay, I can't believe everyone out there would rather spend three hundred and fifty bucks or more on a used cast iron Desoto 4bbl intake manifold instead of getting together with Eelco and have them cast entirely new aluminum ones of the single-four and multi-carb variations. Nobody's touched the group purchase thread I started since April.
:x
ward3162

341 Manifold

Post by ward3162 »

I'm with you. Contacted EELCO and put my name on list for Aluminum 4 Barrel High rise. If they get enough interest they will produce. Come on DeSoto guys...we need to support EELCO's efforts. Nobody else seems to want to help us.
desotoman

Post by desotoman »

For general information, unless you are going to make a single plane manifold for some real performance it is hard to beat the factory single 4 barrel manifold. If you want bigger runners you just send it to extrude hone and they can take care of that. If you want to mount a holley you can use an adapter plate. If you want the aluminum look just have it powder coated aluminum.

One problem the desoto motors have unlike the chrysler they take two different manifolds. I personally think there would be more demand for the low deck manifolds than the high deck since the low deck was made for 4 years vs. the high deck made for 2 years but that is just my opinion.

It cost a lot of money to go to the pattern maker then tool up to make manifolds. If you are going to sell thousands it is no big deal as you recover you money without having too high of a price. When you might sell 50 or 100 the price rockets to cover the startup costs.

If you really want a custom manifold contact someone like Hogan's and they will fix you up. Not cheap though.

In the mean time it all comes down to supply and demand, and right now there is a demand for 4 barrel intakes so the price is high, but is it? $250-$300 for a manifold is not that bad when you consider the motor is 50 years old and at least some manifolds are available. (I remember when I threw them away for scrap, because no one wanted them, and they would laugh at me because it was a Desoto)
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

I pointed this out several times in the past. Got bashed.

"It cost a lot of money to go to the pattern maker then tool up to make manifolds. If you are going to sell thousands it is no big deal as you recover you money without having too high of a price. When you might sell 50 or 100 the price rockets to cover the startup costs."

This thread has 2 guys wanting manifolds over 8 months and is an example of the extremely low demand.

Here is an actual guy that will make manifolds...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Desoto-H ... dZViewItem

The price is extremely low for a custom made manifold. You can watch to see the real world demand and if ANY will sell. :D
ks662

intake

Post by ks662 »

If that manifold performs well as designed it's a helluva deal!
George

Post by George »

desotoman wrote: If you want to mount a holley you can use an adapter plate.
An Edelbrock will drop right on, just open up the intake's holes. Or replace the studs & run a spacer or squeeze plate.