LA 273

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

nvella

LA 273

Post by nvella »

Hey soz guyz my 273 block is called an LA Block so if anyone knows any details or has any books on the engine please let me know

Nathan
George

Post by George »

HP Books "how to rebuild small block Mopar Engines" by Don taylor & Larry Hofer"
nvella

LA 273

Post by nvella »

hey does anyone have the book how to rebuild small block Mopar Engines in a PDF format they can send me?

Nathan
speedicusmaximus

Post by speedicusmaximus »

Nvella,
You'll be lucky ! The book's about 100 or so pages long, costs about 15 to 20 bucks, and has been around since before the Internet. There's a similiar book that covers the tuning of small block engines (it's been around even longer ! so is quite dated - although still a good read). I think Larry Sheppard wrote that last one. Try Motor Books International, or any of the better Mopar suppliers.
Mike 8)
Beep ! Beep !
firepower354

Post by firepower354 »

Buy one so you can take it in the garage and flip without greasing up your keyboard. Besides, you can study up in the bathroom, at the in-laws, etc..

IMSMHTSHO: (In my slightly more humble than some heres opinion) The 273 has small ports, valves, bores, pretty much everything that makes power. If it's not a numbers matching (uggh) resto, swap something with some power in there.
The 273 will cost more to build than the later larger LA engines. A late model truck Magnum 360, especially with a cheap 4 inch crank will look similar, cost about the same, and make double the power. Even the lowly 318 will make more power, cheaper.

If you gotta stick with the 273, remember to think small when cam and manifold shopping. Nothing wilder than a Performer, better yet an old S.P.2-P with a 390-450 Holley. Under 215 degrees duration. Getting compression is tough without lots of expensive block and head milling or custom pistons. Check some 283 Chev articles to see what sort of combos have worked for the similarly sized powerplants.

Best of luck.