newbie question: what are the hemi "families"?

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

Wild Turkey

newbie question: what are the hemi "families"?

Post by Wild Turkey »

Went to sleep as a kid listening to a 56A running full throttle running our irrigation well in Texas. Told my brother to buy up all the retired 56A's when folks switched to newer engines. (He didn't, someone else did :cry: )

I recently came across a stash of machined crankshafts and am trying to sort them out so I can put them up for adoption. I've read the charts here and at several other sites but haven't seen a good listing of which hemis are in the same "series" or "families". Tried to figure it out myself (stroke, rod/main size, etc) and only got eyestrain. (yeah, I'm no spring chicken :lol: )

I'm pretty sure the 331,354, and 392 are one series, and the 330,341,345 are another, but there's several others I can't place (270, 241, 315).

One other question so I can make sure I don't jump to conclusions -- are there any size engines that could be either hemi or standard? That is if a crank was for a "354 Chrysler" can I assume it's a Hemi, even if the casting number isn't on any lists one way or the other?

A simple list of all member of the series, etc. or a link to a good site would be most helpful.

(if someone wants a list of the casting numbers I'm working with send me an email and I'll send you the Excel worksheet.)

Thanks
George

Post by George »

The 1st batch are Chrysler, the 2nd batch are DeSoto, & the 3rd batch are Dodges. Check hothemiheads.com
RottenRon

Post by RottenRon »

hi i am trying to find out if a hemi out of a 1958 two ton dump truck is it aworth wile canadate motor for a rat rod project or not as the motor has alarge truck trans conected to it and is it posable to bolt a conventnal trans to it . or is the bellhousing larger or am I wasting my time on this one.also the indivual that has it is not sure of a fair selling price? Confused and not sure what to offer for this motor thanks any info would be helpfull rotten Ron.
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

RottenRon wrote:hi i am trying to find out if a hemi out of a 1958 two ton dump truck is it aworth wile canadate motor for a rat rod project or not as the motor has alarge truck trans conected to it and is it posable to bolt a conventnal trans to it . or is the bellhousing larger or am I wasting my time on this one.also the indivual that has it is not sure of a fair selling price? Confused and not sure what to offer for this motor thanks any info would be helpfull rotten Ron.
Most likely it is a 354 Chrysler engine with the heavy duty ind/marine/early water hole block.

Excellent canidate for performance engine. worth about 1000 if running 750 if not.

Make sure to get the 4 bolt exhaust manifolds, they are worth 200-250-300 alone... :P

Take the trans also, some guys love them, sold complete setup out of a school bus for 550 a couple of years ago...